2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Line and fittings, size

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Gunn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Line and fittings, size

Hello all,
I've been driving my Dad's truck for a week since mine is in need of repair. This 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 hasn't been driven in about a year (Dad passed away). Driving to work this morning, a deer ran out in front of me and when I went for the brakes, they failed. Right to the floor. Thankfully the deer was some distance away and kept going. Turned around, parked on the side of the road and saw fluid coming out from under the engine. The luck! Two trucks down... [sm=boohoo.gif]

Anyway, after getting it back home with the emergency brake, I crawled under and it is the line that goes under the engine crossmember, connecting left and right sides. I see behind the wheel at each end is a connector block. Seems easy enough to bend a new one and replace.

I've done my searching on the forum and read the FAQ, and just wanted to confirm. Do I need to get 3/16" line, and the fittings that come on that line are correct? Or is there anything more I need to get?

Also, I didn't measure the length I need; anyone know? I'm guessing around 6'-8'of straight steel line will do the job... Want to pick it up on my way home and get the job done this evening. Need to tow a boat on Saturday.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Brake Line and fittings, size

You should take the complete old line out and bring it to the auto parts store and match it up. Anything else would be just guessing. And you'll wind up going back to the store anyway.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Gunn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, but...I live quite a ways away from any auto parts store, so....I'll be sure to get more than enough so I don't need to return. Easier to return excess later than make an extra trip. Just need to make sure to get the right sizes of parts....3/16"?

Old 06-20-2008, 12:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It is 3/16" I believe ! But I would get a few different sizes and lengths which appears what you are going to do. 1/8" is very possible.

BTW, sorry to here about your Dad.

Quick Reply: Brake Line and fittings, size