2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 AM
kevintj1s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't idle

My 01 Ram will not run unless I am giving it gas. When I let off of the throttle, the engine dies. It just started yesterday and the check engine light is not on. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Won't idle

Possible causes:

Fuel Pump supplying insufficient fuel: dead pump, clogged filter, clogged fuel rail, clogged injectors
IAC broken or clogged in closed position.: Remove Throttle Body and clean, Inspect IAC and the port, replace IAC if necessary.
Dire need of a tune up: replace plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, PCV valve, and possibly coil.

That should get you started.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:36 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

i concur. lol. run some seafoam in the through the gas and intake, see what that does.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 PM
kevintj1s

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think that it would be a fuel pump issue since I can drive the truck fine as long as I am giving it gas. Should I be able to drive the truck if there is problem with the fuel pump? I will try the other things as well.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:34 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

well i've gotten mixed results about a fuel pump. I've initially heard, they can start to fail but still work, then i've heard they either work, or they don't. without any conclusive evidence, my stand on it is that since the actual pump relies on switches and sensors, that if it was broken, it wouldn't function at all. BUT if it is begin to fail, I believe it has something to do with one of the variables, such as a clogged injector, fuel rail, etc.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 PM
cakley

I bought a used Ram that wouldn't stay idle unless I kept on the throttle.

Drove it to the parts store and dumped in some fuel system cleaner. The drive home must have helped.It still acted stupid on start ups. Next up was removal and cleaning of throttle body which cured the idle problems. Not perfect on cold start but a huge improvement. I think the injectors need another treatment of cleaner or fuel filter, or primary O2 sensor those three are next on my list.

Quick Reply: Won't idle