2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard shifting/delayed downshift

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:59 PM
purplepills
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard shifting/delayed downshift

First off sorry for the onslaught of questions lately...lol

Anyway, I noticed that my shifting seems kinda hard when I jump on it. Also every so often when I am coasting to a stop and then hit the gas a bit (before coming to a complete stop) it feels like the tranny slips a bit or shifts in hard. Should that be cause for alarm? Fluids look good, though I have not serviced the tranny since I bought the truck. Any recommendations on tranny fluid should I do a full serivce on it? It is relatively high mileage approaching 190k

Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Shawn86
Professional
Default RE: Hard shifting/delayed downshift

Anything 2000 and before run Mopar ATF Plus 3. On 01's they switch to ATF +4. Which transmission do you have?

Old 07-10-2008, 02:09 PM
postie1686
Rookie

i have a 01 ram with the 5.9l in it with a 46re trans and was haveing the same problem. get on the gas and it didnt want to upshift. and if you pulled out to pass just didnt want to down shift with out playin with the gas. my old man works for chrysler so he did some looking. and they have a flash for the engine computer for this problem. it changes some points in the valuve body in the tranny. hooked it up at his work took about 20 min but took care of the issue. i would look into this before you spen the money to rebuild the whole thing.

just a thought

Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd just run ATF+4, no matter what year. I bet you can't find ATF+3 anymore, and even if you could, ATF+4 is superior.

Quick Reply: Hard shifting/delayed downshift