2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Draining in Truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:45 AM
nakw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Draining in Truck

A couple months back I posted a topic about water soaking the carpet on the passenger side of my '99 Ram Extended Cab, and thinking it was the rear sliding glass window, I siliconed it shut. But, to my dismay, that didnt solve the problem. So, it's summer now and it hasn't rained in ages, and yet the passenger floor seems to still get wet. I'll dry it thoroughly, vacuum any water remnants, and after a couple hours of driving around, it will be soaked through the mat. So, it has lead me to come to the conclusion that somehow the AC is leaking into the car. . .i dont know if thats even possible though. Anyone know?
A couple years back the AC stopped blowing cold and took it into an AC shop. The guy said there was a leak, drained the refrigerant, and wanted over a grand to fix it. Just last summer I decided to spend the cash and fill up the system with refrigerant again. . .and what do ya know, it's been a year and it still blows out icy cold. I dont know if the "leak" he was talking about got fixed or what. . .but now something seems to be leaking into the car. . .
Any help would be much appreciated. I'm tired of girls getting in the car and commenting on the musty smell. . .not a hot selling point, haha.

Thanks,
Nash in Hawaii

Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: AC Draining in Truck

Either the heater/ac box is clogged with crap and/or the drain tube is clogged. Do you see a puddle of water under the truck when you get home or stop to gas up?

Old 07-19-2008, 03:01 AM
nakw

Water pools under the truck, checked earlier. Where can I locate this possible clog?

Old 07-19-2008, 03:41 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

Water pools under the truck, checked earlier
Drain could still be clogged; you may only be seeing the condensation that has run off of the dryer and line. The drain is a little rubber tube sticking out of the firewall down low on the passenger side.

If your AC still blows cold, you do not have a significant refrigerant leak. And refrigerant turns into vapor at atmospheric pressure anyway; only liquid under high pressure. The drain is for condensation.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:56 AM
nakw

Yah, I'm thinking the water under the truck is from the condensation on the dryer also. The AC still blows out cold, and I havent refilled it for over a year, which makes me think the repair shop guy was full of crap. Any recommendation for cleaning the drain? I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see if there's any visible clog. . .

Old 07-19-2008, 02:28 PM
rats rattler

I had the same problem with my 95. The problem was the drain in the firewall had cracked. For my 95, the drain was part of the entire venting system as well as the evaporator housing. this required the removal of most of the dash to replaced. I started by putting rtv to fill the gap between the housing and the firewall, this stopped the water from draining into the truck. I also put a hose using rtv and routed the hose down behind the wheel.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:47 PM
nakw

Finally got around to checking the drain tube today, and there was water in it. It's in such a awkward location, hard to tell if anything is clogged in it. Guess I'm just going to have to deal with the wet passenger floor, maybe get plastic mats instead of the carpet ones I have now. Thanks for the help, if you have any ideas on how to solve the problem, let me know. . .Also, I'm afraid to remove most of the dash as its cracked all over, dont think it would survive. . .Thanks again.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:01 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Try running a skinny coat hanger up the tube.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 PM
nakw

Tried the coat hanger trick this morning and then went for a few hour drive around town to do errands. . .and the passenger floor is soaking wet again, just got it completely dry yesterday. Bummer. The drain tube must be cracked in the cab and is draining inside. Guess I'm just gonna have to keep a chammy handy and dry it out every night after a long drive. Thanks for the tips though, everyone.

P.S. Anyone know of a good place to order plastic floor mats for the front? Cus the carpet ones i currently have arent gonna work too good with the constant wetness.

Quick Reply: AC Draining in Truck