2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hissing sound out of the intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 06:47 AM
jetmech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hissing sound out of the intake?

I just replaced the Idle air control valve on the intake because of funny iddling on my 96 ram 2wd and now when I accelerate it makes a hissing sound like a gasp or a rush of air being sucked in, but only when barely opening the throttle, it was kinda cool at first but now its just anoying, is that normal?

Old 01-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Snafu
Default RE: Hissing sound out of the intake?

Mine's done for quite a while. Most likely a loose air box on the throttle body. Haven't gotten around to fixing mine. As long as the damn thing stays running, I'm happy.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing awhile back. Turned out my air box was loose, and the rubber o-ring that goes between the airbox and the throttlebody was pretty much deteriorated. So, I bought a new o-ring for about $3.00 from my dealer, and tightened down the airbox, and that took care of it.

I have since replaced the factory airbox with an Airaid intake system. It doesn't have the noise muffling characteristics of the stock air box, so now I hear the sucking noise all the time, no matter how tight the air hat is. I love the Airaid intake though.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:11 PM
P.B.
Rookie

i GOT THE SAME PROBLEM AS WELL. I INSTALLED AN EDLEBROCK 8" CHROME CLEANER ON MY 89' W250. I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU COME FROM, BUT I HAVE ALL THESE KIDS AROUND TOWN THAT THROW THESE INTAKE TUBE AND FILTERS BIG ENOUGH FOR A MACK TRUCK ON THERE HONDAS. YAH IM TALKIN ABOUT THOSE GLORIFIED WEEDWACKERS YOU CAN HEAR TRYING TO BREATH FROM A MILE AWAY. THEY GET THIS SAME PROBLEM , JUST TEN TIMES WORSE. IT SOUNDS LIKE THEY GOT A STREET CONE FOR AN INTAKE. tHATS OK THOUGH. WHEN I SIT NEXT TO ONE AT A STOP LIGHT I THROMP ON MY GAS PEDDAL. ITS COOL IT SUCKS THE AIR RIGHT OUT OF THERE MOTOR AND THEY STALL. HA HA

Old 01-27-2005, 01:30 PM
moparmania
Veteran

lmao...i got the mack intake on mine and its pretty damn quiet

Old 01-27-2005, 05:16 PM
P.B.
Rookie

I WAS REFERING TO A "MACK TRUCK" INTAKE ON A FOUR CYLINDER HONDA. NOT A MAC INTAKE ON A 8 CYLINDER TRUCK. NOT REALLY A MACK TRUCK INTAKE, BUT ONE THAT HAS A TUBE BIGGER THAN ALL FOUR CYLINDER BORES COMBINED. TRUST ME, IF YOU EVER HEARD THE AWFUL NOISE 4 CYLINDER IMPORTS MAKE WITH AN INTAKE YOU KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:27 PM
moparmania
Veteran

yeah i know what you were saying, not confusing the 2 so dont worry big guy. i was making a general comment .

Old 01-28-2005, 01:52 AM
dodgeballz

TRUST ME, IF YOU EVER HEARD THE AWFUL NOISE 4 CYLINDER IMPORTS MAKE WITH AN INTAKE YOU KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT
lol they dont need the intake to sound like ****...they come like that from the factory. My personal favorite is sitting next to one of those rice burners at a light, you know the ones with the 20 inch rims in a 13 inch wheel well and the exhaust tip thats 10" in diameter, with their girlfriends in the car...I rev...they rev(then go pop pop pop *ghasp* pop) the light turns and i smoke 'em....now we all know it hurts someone in a "sports car" like that to get beaten by a pickup, but i havent lost to one yet!!!!!!

--Dylan

Quick Reply: Hissing sound out of the intake?