2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whine noise in reverse *FIXED!!*

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 AM
talthyren
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Whine noise in reverse *FIXED!!*

I have been having the "lovely" whining sound coming from my Transmission when I shift into reverse when the trucks cold. Hearing that the sound is somewhat "Normal" and not damaging to the transmission, I hadn't really given it any thought.

Yesterday I was doing my Annual summer fluid change, and I noticed my ATF fluid was a little on the low side, it was right at the "Min" mark in neutral at idle. I dumped some ATF+4 in enough to bring it about 3/4 of the way to the MAX mark and let it sit overnight..

This morning when I got in and started her up to go to work.....I was shocked....no more reverse whine!!

While I am happy the noise is gone, Im hoping I havnt done any damage to my tranny from having low fluid.... Its still shifting fine, no hesitation / slippage, etc.

Anyways, if you have the "Death whine", check your ATF, maybe its low

Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Kwdog75
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good tip, Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Whine noise in reverse *FIXED!!*