2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lazy Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:08 PM
donavan42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy Overdrive

I recently purchased a 2001 QC 4x4 Ram with the 5.9L V8, off-road package, & only 31,000 miles. It seems to be a great truck, but one thing about it acts differently than other vehicles I've owned... On these cold January mornings, the overdrive won't always engage right away. The past few days I took about two miles before it shifted into overdrive (no big deal), this morning, it was -2 (F) and I the overdrive wouldn't engage until I stopped (after about 10 miles), Shifted from drive to park & back to drive.

The tranny doesn't slip or anything & the fluid level appears fine.

Is this something I should worry about or is it just the "Nature of the Beast?" I've owned GMs & Fords in the past and none of those have acted like this. I am planning on having the tranny fluid changed & bands adjusted in the next month or so, but thought I'd ask other owners about this first, rather than let the tranny shop-owner decide if he needs to make extra money that month.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Snafu
Default RE: Lazy Overdrive

You're on the right track. I'd just change the fluid and filter, adjust the bands, and go from there. My '97 was kinda slow shifting to auto in the cold too.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:21 PM
bign1976
Veteran
Default RE: Lazy Overdrive

The transmission will not go into overdrive until the truck warms up to a certain temp. My 2001 ram and my previous 1997 Dakota did the same thing. Asked the dealer and thats what its supposed to do. It also says this in the manuel.

Quick Reply: Lazy Overdrive