2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 03:24 PM
RamChargerSteve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust

Hello all! I have been a long time lurker and decided to join in on some of the action. I have a black 2001 Ram, sport pkg, off road pkg, auto, 318. I also have a 66 Charger that has been in the family since it was new. I have it completely stripped and in the process of major restoration.
I am planning on putting dual exhaust on my truck, and want to get rid of the catalytic convertor, but I have noticed that there are sensors at the inlet and outlet of the convertor. Will this make my engine light stay on if I don't have these hooked up? I had a 95 Ram that I put duals on and it just had the sensor at the inlet of the convertor. The mufler shop put a fitting on the exhaust so the sensor could be screwed back into the exhaust pipe, and the engine light never did come on. The 01 Ram has two sensors that is making me wonder what is going on! I don't have to have a inspection sticker so I am clear there. Thanks for any input you guys can give me.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:43 AM
moparman95
Rookie
Default RE: Dual Exhaust

If your eliminating the cat completely you still need to leave the o2's or the sytem will run to rich and your air/fuel ratios will be off and it will run like crap. I was going to go with a high flow cat on mine. If you decide to go with the high flow a mechanic from chrysler told me you need to drill the center of the o2 out about 1/16 in and this will prevent the check engine light from coming on. I havent tried this yet on mine but he said that on the viper exhaust (which has a high flow cat) that you have to or the light will keep coming on.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:54 AM
moparmania
Veteran

they lso make a item to plug in there so it reads that you have a 02 sensor in its a bybass. look at the fastmans website to the right

Old 02-02-2005, 12:20 PM
moparman95
Rookie

thats pretty cool ill have to check that out too. does it just thread in where the o2 does and plug in or what?

Old 02-03-2005, 02:47 PM
RamChargerSteve

Thanks guys for the info. I put a dual exhaust system on my Ram and got rid of the convertor. I had the fittings for the sensors put back in the exhaust so I could still use the sensors. The truck runs great and for the first couple of days the check engine light did not come on, but after a couple of days the light came on. The truck still runs great though. I looked at fastmans site but couldnt find a bypass for the sensors.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:02 AM
juiceyou321

The 02 sensor before the cat is the one that tells the engine how to adjust the mixture. The one after the cat doesn't do anything except tell the truck if your cat is still good. If you remove it, your check engine light will come on but it wont affect gas mileage or power or anything. When you get your vehicle inspected, they just plug into your obdII port and see if your getting a signal from that second o2 sensor that says your cat is fine. If you want to pass inspection (if they even check that where you live) or if you dont like the check engine light being set off by not having a cat or the second o2 sensor, go to www.o2simulator.com

Old 02-04-2005, 09:04 AM
RamChargerSteve

Thanks for the info and the link. There is some good info on their help forum. After installing one of these sims, will the check engine light go out or does it have to be reset somehow? I have already checked the code and it is giving me a P 0420 which is a cat efficiency.
ORIGINAL: juiceyou321

The 02 sensor before the cat is the one that tells the engine how to adjust the mixture. The one after the cat doesn't do anything except tell the truck if your cat is still good. If you remove it, your check engine light will come on but it wont affect gas mileage or power or anything. When you get your vehicle inspected, they just plug into your obdII port and see if your getting a signal from that second o2 sensor that says your cat is fine. If you want to pass inspection (if they even check that where you live) or if you dont like the check engine light being set off by not having a cat or the second o2 sensor, go to www.o2simulator.com

Old 02-04-2005, 07:51 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

yes you'll have to reset the computer... disconnect the battery for about 5~10 minutes. it will take about 200 miles or so to relearn itself and settle down.

Put the o2 sim's in the rear o2 locations only, otherwise as mentioned earlier your truck will run like crap.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:34 PM
RamChargerSteve

Thanks. Will disconnecting the battery be the same as unplugging the ecm for about 20 minutes. The administrator on the 02sim forum told me to unplug the ecm to reset the cel.
ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

yes you'll have to reset the computer... disconnect the battery for about 5~10 minutes. it will take about 200 miles or so to relearn itself and settle down.

Put the o2 sim's in the rear o2 locations only, otherwise as mentioned earlier your truck will run like crap.

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust