2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Still Running Hot

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Well, I'm running stock to the cat and then she's opened up 2.5" all the way out. What baffles me is that when the truck cools, it doesn't suck anything back into the radiator.
mine either....I keep getting air in the rad but have no idea where its comming from...no leaks that i can find and it stays pretty close to full...I just get air in the hose and gurgling in the cab....heater core is not leaking.... and oil is fine.?

Old 11-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
mine either....I keep getting air in the rad but have no idea where its comming from...no leaks that i can find and it stays pretty close to full...I just get air in the hose and gurgling in the cab....heater core is not leaking.... and oil is fine.?
Yepper. Just dropped the pan on Sunday to put what my machinist calls a "***ish Knurl" on one of the mains, reinstalled the bearing, and all back together. I had to do that as my crank had too much endplay/thrust.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

And where have you been? You and Talon6 disappeared for a while.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 AM
eaterb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum

I am a new dodge ram owner. Just purchased a 1997. Love the truck so far and this forum has been extremely helpful in resolving a few minor issues. One that I did not notice until the limited warranty was up involved the temp. gauge. I have attached a screen shot. I was not sure what a normal temperature was until I found this thread. When I turn on the heater it does drop, but this was a picture of the gauge during highway driving. I have noted a ton of ideas in this thread, but was look for a place to start. The truck does not run rough and the only issue within the engine compartment I have noticed is that there appears to be a small leak in one of the transmission lines...

Thanks.

Brett

Last edited by eaterb; 03-17-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Yup, that's running hot for sure. I would start by making sure you don't have a leak or air bubbles in the system ,flushing the system, replace thermostat and gauge temp sensor.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Gary-L
Legend

^^Actually, have the timing checked. After going round and round and round and round, my engine guy got in touch with someone who can scan my truck's computer to see if it's in time. After explaining all of the symptoms and when this occurs (under load, hills, etc) that's what we've deduced. I tried to get in last week and it didn't work. Hopefully, I can get in this week to get the timing checked.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I know it should work with a 195 state but I would just put a 180 in there if anything to prevent any damage while your tring to figure it out....it fixed my issues on mine....and I have no issues with the motor running at 185 degrees.
The thermostat doesn't regulate a cooler temp. It maintains a minimum temp. If you are over heating beyond the rating of your thermostat, it won't matter how low of a temp thermstat you put in. The only difference would be the point that it opens.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by sungod
The thermostat doesn't regulate a cooler temp. It maintains a minimum temp. If you are over heating beyond the rating of your thermostat, it won't matter how low of a temp thermostat you put in. The only difference would be the point that it opens.
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! I've been trying to explain that about thermostats to people on this board for over two years, but they are convinced that if it opens earlier then the engine will run cooler.

Yesterday, I finally got the truck to a mechanic recommended by a friend. He connected his scan tool to the diagnostic port and checked it. The timing is set at 19.3'. He tried to retard the timing by adjusting the distributor but there was no affect. He reviewed his material regarding the Dodge and *WHOOPS*, the timing cannot be adjusted. Set the engine to 0' and the PCM takes over. I've been trying to explain that to my engine guy for months to no avail. Looks like I'll have more ammo next time I see him.

So, it appears that I have a faulty PCM. JJ is going to check with a buddy of his who he states is the top Dodge technician in the State. He's going to ask if it's possible to reprogram the PCM, get a new PCM, or get a rebuilt unit. This all makes sense to me as the truck was running hot when I first bought it and drove it for approximately 8K miles.

More to follow, but I'm finally on the right track.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:42 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Maybe the distributor is off a tooth or two when it was installed. And btw, when he checked the timing, the rpm's should be at 1500, IIRC.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by zman17
Maybe the distributor is off a tooth or two when it was installed. And btw, when he checked the timing, the rpm's should be at 1500, IIRC.
I don't believe so. I shudder at the idea of trying to remove the distributor because A) its location, and B) it is TIGHT. They had a helluva time trying to turn it.

We'll see what Mr Dodge expert suggests.

Quick Reply: Still Running Hot