2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar Hitch Wiring Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Mopar Hitch Wiring Kit

Has anyone ever installed one of these? How hard is it to install? i was just wondering how to do it 'cause i was thinking of ordering it from either the dealer or Dodgeparts.com Also, i was looking at getting a Draw-Tite Activator III brake controller. It seems like a good brake controller, or is it overkill for me. I dont ever tow that much, but over the winter my dad and i were looking at getting a used camper, and our ram does not have any hitch wiring. It does have a factory trailer hitch that i scored at the junkyard for $50. Any help is appreciated!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 PM
robinbobin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not sure about the mopar wiring kit, but i got the kit from advanced auto for about 20 -25 bucks. it was super easy took me less than 10 mins to install. was a simple install. just unplug the connector to each tail light and plug in the t-connectors. also not sure about the e- brakes. hope this helps

Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Installed one on my 1995 Dakota before I traded it. It was very easy, just as robinbobin describes.

Sorry, not sure on the brakes myself either.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about the brake controller or the wiring but I will say I had the factory towing package and tried to install a brake controller since it was wired up for it and all and had the plug under the dash. I got a Brake Force brake controller my uncle had bought and used for just a few times then let me have for $50. I couldn't get it to send signal to the end of the truck. It was sending it at the back of the box so I knew the box was good but it wasn't getting it at the plug in the rear. So ended up getting ready to run a new wire to the rear of the truck when looking at where to run it I noticed a blue wire which is what I need. It was disconnected at the firewall and tied up. Kind of looked factory so I'm guessing it wasn't connected from the factory. I connected this and it fixed my issues. Just something to let everyone watch out for it they are installing a brake controller. Guys on another forum had told me to watch out for this as they said it seemed to be quite often on Dodges that the blue wire is left disconnected somewhere from the factory. Not sure why Dodge would do this.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:11 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a mess on mine. The dufus ignored the plug and butchered all the wires... The plug is nice and simple, and worked for my Dakota, but put a strain on my park lights. For your brakes, Purple Dodge, you will either need the harness, or wire to run the distance. Look under your dash. Hopefully there is a plug for your electric brake. If not, the easiest thing to do is run a wire from your battery to a time-reset circuit breaker, then to the power on your brake control. Get your voltmeter, and find the signal wire that turns on from your brake pedal switch. Carefully tie into that. Find a good ground and tie the white wire to that, then run a blue wire(this and the power from the battery should be at least 12 gauge wire) from the box to your plug... Hope this helps...

Last edited by johnnyrocket5363; 08-20-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: I goofed..
Old 08-26-2008, 03:35 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

thanks guys for all the input. when i get this done i might do a DIY on installing it.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:06 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

I got the Mopar Trailer Towing kit today from MOPAR.BIZ. Will install this weekend and have a DIY next week.

Quick Reply: Mopar Hitch Wiring Kit