2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Box Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Skoubah
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Box Help

It turns out i had a leaking pressure hose, so i went and picked up another, after removing the old one which was no walk in the park i installed the old one.

I installed it fine to the pump but it wont go into the box, well it goes in a bit before stripping, its just not seating well, i bought 2 hoses and they are the correct size. Im a bit of a noob and can do small jobs but when i hit a wall like this im done, can anyone tell me what i have to do, im sure its something about re-threading but what do i buy and what size. The family mechanic took one of the hoses to get it fixed but waiting for him can literally take months, id like to get it up and running on this long weekend.

Thanks a lot in advanced.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well if you damaged the threads in the steering box you really (no pun intended)screwed up bad. I would remove the hose completely and clean the threads on it and what you can see in the steering box. I would also connect the steering box end first to get it started by hand.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Skoubah
Rookie

the box looks fine actually, what i can see at least, its the hose that gets stripped.

It it goes in a tiny tiny bit then pope out if you try to screw it in. I hate to say this because im not a hack but there must be something, some kind of hack to get this done, then if i have to buy a steering box next time i will, but if i could get it working now that would be great and like i said god forbid i have to replace the hose again down the line that when ill buy the new box.

There are always tricks, im hoping a fellow do it yourselfer knows one.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You are going to have to play with it until you get it in straight. Just the slightest bit off and will start but not screw all the way without stripping. You have got to get it straight so you can turn it almost all the way by hand first.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Skoubah
It it goes in a tiny tiny bit then pope out if you try to screw it in.
That almost sounds like a reversed thread problem. do you recall which way it came out.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 AM
jtb19nh

I just did one on a silverado, I had the same problem as you. It would go a couple of turns then pop off. The trick is to get is started straight. I had to bend the hose with one hand while I threaded it on with the other hand. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Be sure that the little rubber o-ring from the old hose isnt still down in the steering box, and check the end of the new hose with the old hose to be sure they are the same. Try threading in the old hose, see if that goes in. If so, start the new one straight, and you might have to push down on it a little to get it to grab.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Skoubah
Rookie

its an absolute no go.

I just went through my third (thats right) my third hose, they all do the same thing, and they are all the right size, its safe to assume now that the issue is inside the box, my theory is that the hose i replaced was put in cross threaded and they just forced it in, now that i took it out no hose will go in.

My mechanic will have to re-tap it, its still better then replacing the whole thing, like i said earlier though waiting for him is like waiting for wine to ferment. I have officially lost all my patients and about $60. It just doent go in straight no matter what, i listen and tried all the suggestions here but it goes in 1 way only, crooked which in turn destroys the hose.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Im still not really sure how you are going to be able to re tap it, not something you can usually do in this situation...

Old 09-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

I replaced this hose a few months back right after I got my Ram. I think your box is OK. The hose fittings will destruct long before the machined threads in the box. On the box end, the hose fitting (tube) makes some strange bends that may interfer with the box and/or frame. If you still have a hose assy with somewhat decent threads, try bending the tubing so it doesnt come up against the box or frame before trying to thread it in. Also, get a flare nut wrench of the proper size, lube the threads with PS fluid, and be patient when trying to thread it in (think Zen ). I always insert the tube (with o-ring) into the box first and then bring down the nut once the tube is seated. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Steering Box Help