2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram 1500 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 AM
408Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 1500 Turbo Kit

I was thinking of building a turbo kit for the 94 to 2001 ram's. I did not know if anyone else would like to have one. I dont know the price to build it yet, i am just checking to see if there is any intrest. I am going to build one for me and if anyone is intrested I will see about building a few extra.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:01 PM
95laRAMie
Rookie

if you could get one to work with the OBD1's that would be awesome, id have some interest. i cant find em for trucks that are OBD1, so if you can make it reliable and proper, ill be interested

Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 PM
MO-POWERED
Default Turbo kit

I have some thoughts on doing a turbo kit on my 1996 5.9 standard cab ram.... I have like 4 newer 6.7 diesel turbos sitting around.. and like a few other holset's from older diesels.
Are you gonna make a rear-mount or front mount turbo set-up? And what kind of engine management are you planning on using or have experience with? (I've seen people use FMU style fuel pressure regulators.... and that is scary; unreliable way to manage air/fuel ratio...)
Here is a a couple vids I found on you-tube of a thrown together with fmu front turbo set-up... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwhmN...eature=related

Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 AM
408Ram
Rookie

I have talked to KRC about the computer end of it and they told me that they could handle it. Everyone is right. OBD1 is not good for the tuning issues. I plan to build the kits and have someone else like KRC tune it. I am ok with building a kit and then bring my truck to KRC. They are about 8hrs from me. I want to build a under the hood unit that is intercooled, then "test" it for a while. I know that thermal expansion is a big deal with exhaust and tying the two sides into one for a turbo causes a lot of stress points. I have some learning to do for now but all input is good. Keep sending thoughts. I am open to learn. I have installed/built turbos on a Honda and a Mustang. It is time for a Mopar.

Quick Reply: Ram 1500 Turbo Kit