2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What transmission cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Prodirt6000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What transmission cooler?

So what does everyone think I should get for a trans. cooler.

I will need it on my 95 Ram 1500 with the 5.2 4 speed auto. The heaviest I will pull is a 20 foot enclosed trailer with a jeep in it.

I would like to get the whole set up package deal if they have it.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, the best cooler is one with its own thermostat and integrated fan. That way you have decent cooling while you not even moving (or moving very slowly, like when wheeling or stop go/traffic). Check out Flex-a-lite 45951 or 45953 (depending on what type of connection you want to use).

But, if you just want a traditional cooler, try the Flex-a-lite 4232. It is rated at 32,000 GVW, and is 10.5" x 21" x 1.5" That is what I am currently running, and it outperforms any other trans cooler I have tried. I first ran a small tube/fin rated at about 15,000 GVW, and my trans temps never changed at all. Then I ran a plate/fin (which is supposed to be better cooling capability then a tube/fin) rated at about 20,000 GVW, and I saw about 5 degree difference during normal operating conditions. When it got real hot outside, or I towed/hauled loads, there was no difference at all. Now, I run the 4232 which is a tube/fin rated at 32,000 GVW, and it is by far the best. After installing it, I see temps about 35 degrees lower then normal during normal operating conditions, and when it is hot outside or I haul a load, I am about 15 degrees cooler then what I usually see. I also installed a larger capacity alum pan (2 qts extra capacity), and that improved temps even more.

The only consideration I have about my big trans cooler though is that it blocks a good portion of the radiator, and any air that is getting past it on its way to the radiator is already heated up by the fact that hot trans fluid is flowing through the cooler. So, basically you have less air getting to the radiator, and what is getting there is already heated. But the truth is, even with all this, my engine temps stayed the same as it did before. I've never overheated, even in the summer months when it can be in the upper 90's/low 100's in some of the places I go, and even when I am towing. It also still takes just as long to warm up to operating temp. I basically have seen no difference in engine temps with the larger cooler, but a noticable difference in trans temps (as compared to no cooler, and the smaller coolers).

Old 09-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, it is my opinion that a trans temp gauge is almost as valuable as a trans cooler, maybe more. Without knowing what temp your trans is, you have no way to know if a trans cooler is even helping or not. Plus, with a gauge, you have the ability to stop what your doing when you start to see temps getting into the danger zone. Without a gauge, you never even know when you are at risk. If you put a cooler on and think your good to go, you can still kill your trans without even realizing it because you weren't monitoring any actual temps. With a gauge, you know where your trans temps are at all times and you will never overheat. Without a gauge, your just guessing and falsely thinking that you're ok just because you have a cooler.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the biggest cooler you can find, with a fan. Then you can mount it just about anywhere.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Prodirt6000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey thanks guys.

any places that's a good place to buy them and look at prices? so would i be better off with the fan or no fan?

Quick Reply: What transmission cooler?