2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

clear coat trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:34 PM
RedRam96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear coat trouble

I have a 1996 Ram with Garnet red paint. The clear coat is peeling off of the driver's side of the truck. The passenger side is still intact and looks good. I want to have the paint fixed but I am not sure whether or not to have the whole truck painted. My fear is that clear coat peeling will start in another location and then that will have to be fixed too. Would it be best to have the whole truck repainted? If so how much would that cost?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:48 AM
tboss
Rookie

Join the club dude abt half the older dodges I see here in pensacola fl. are peeling Mine did it too on the hood and roof. They dont usually peel on the sides because they are not in the direct sunlite and the sun dont bake them all day I repainted the hood and roof and it came out fine . A good cleaning buffing polishing and waxing abt every three months will help the rest of it to last longer. If you live near pensacola we can work out some way for me to paint it for you Im sure we can work out a deal. Terry .

Last edited by tboss; 09-05-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:10 PM
RedRam96

Could you give me a ball park estimate on how much it would cost to repaint the whole truck. That includes color and clear.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:33 PM
tboss
Rookie

If I done it it would run you 500.00 plus paint and supplies. The paint wuld be abt 400.00 and the supplies another 25.00 and thats using a single stage paint but I have to paint it outside and sometimes I have a little trouble with dust and small bugs but what the hell it looks a lot better than before and if you dont do something with it soon it will start to rust and then you havea bigger problem. Im not sure wht a body shop would charge but I bet it will stagger you. good luck. terry----------tboss

Quick Reply: clear coat trouble