2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I think I have a problem that NOBODY can solve (please prove me wrong)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Ram_bling_On
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I think I have a problem that NOBODY can solve (please prove me wrong)

I had a similar incident with a 99 4x4 Sport w/5.9L engine. Sounded like a HEAVY spark knock under acceleration like a rod was fixin to come loose. I pulled into a dealership and they replaced the intake pan gasket. Oil was getting in and causing the mis-fire. Are you using an excessive amount of oil? I used 4 quarts on a 500 mile trip. That was the tell-tale sign.

Good Luck

Old 02-21-2005, 07:08 PM
1bigplowtruck
Default RE: I think I have a problem that NOBODY can solve (please prove me wrong)

HMMMMM, that's a good question.. I just replaced the oil, to put in something thicker (10-40 with a quart of lucas to see if that quieted things down at all), (which it did until it warms up)... I haven't driven it enough to tell yet, but I will keep my eyes on it and keep you posted! Thanks

-Dave

Old 02-21-2005, 08:20 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

the timing chains are known to stretch pretty quick, pull the belt again and put a mechanics scope on the timing chain cover and rev it. you should be able to narrow it down with the scope for sure. I'd also check in each head (with the scope) and listen for the rattle there... but my bet based on what you've mentioned is the chain...

Old 02-22-2005, 12:15 AM
1bigplowtruck

I am thinking the same thing.. It snowed yesterday (so I was out all day plowing) and didn't get a chance to look at the issue any closer. I hope to get a stethoscope on it tomorrow and isolate exactly where the noise is coming from... As far as the timing chain goes, the noise is very rythmic, evenly spaced etc... it is click, click, click, not click click clickclick click... (if you know what I mean Would the timing set be that rythmic? Thanks for the advise guys!

Old 02-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Kish

piston slap maybe... just a guess. I had a grand am that had a loud knocking/ticking noise then the engine blew about 30 miles later. just my $0.02

Old 02-25-2005, 02:10 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

On my 87 fifth avenue It had a heck of a knock when the engine was running free,( not pulling or decelerating). Turned out to be timing chain at only 135000 miles. Nice shiny spot inside timing chain cover. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 02-25-2005, 12:44 PM
ram4ever

I have a 01 1500 quad cab 4x4 and I had a strange nocking noise and had it back to the dealer a couple of times,but they hooked up electronic ears to my truck and found the noise coming from the linkage that is used to shift into 4x4 which is on the floor. They put a tension spring on it under the vechicle and it solved the noise. Don't know if this is the same but with all the other suggestions I
though you might like to know about this.Also every other oil change I have the dealer check that spring and they also lubricate it. You also could have the dealer look into techinical service bullitens
(TSB'S) that help them find strange problems.[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 02-28-2005, 05:44 PM
turnerw

I have a 94 Ram with the 5.2 with the same noise. It taps on acceleration and while Im cruisung at 65 - 70 mph. Mine however has 150000 miles. Everyone I talk to says its a wrist pin and it can last a long time possibly running like this if you can stand the noise.. Hope this helps

Old 03-28-2005, 04:20 PM
mini14

Have u looked for tsb's http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1999-index.htm. the deisel engine tsb says to replace thermostat

Quick Reply: I think I have a problem that NOBODY can solve (please prove me wrong)