2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Winter to do list

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Boardingkaos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter to do list

My truck is done for the season as far as racing goes and im starting to get some ideas of what i want to do to it this winter.

heres what i have so far on the truck:

Round air intake
dual exhaust with no cat and 3" cutout after the o2 sensor for racing
180* thermostat

Here are some things that I'm thinking about doing to it this winter or in the next year:

drag slicks
posi unit (thinking about eaton LSD)
different rear gearing
SCT tuner (is there a cheaper way to get one of those?)
Cams and forged internals
Nos

Any ideas thoughts or suggestions?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

suggestion, bag the Nos. Dont go with it, its just a faster way to ruin ur engine unless youve built it up for that purpose and even then its a waste. Go with a blower or a turbo in place of the nos, but either way if your going to that extreme you need to build your engine.

As for other upgrades, hit up the fastman TB, get some rolling rockers and long tube headers. Shorties are nice, but they are mostly for space saving and a lil better flow, if you going for power the the longs. Also find a way to pull in outside air with that round air intake, every 10 degrees cooler is another 1% horse power.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

+1. What he said.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Boardingkaos

Yeah I realized i was missing a few things, i did the list late last night.

I will eventually be getting either a turbo or a blower depending on pricing and what i hear about the performance of each. anyone have any thoughts on either a blower or turbo?

Ill look into the rolling rockers and see if i cant grab some when i put in cams. When i put those in ill also get some forged connecting rods and pistons for the turbo or blower.

As far as getting air to my intake i was thinking about getting a fiberglass hood scoob unless someone has a good suggestion.

Once I have the coin ill be getting the 57 mm fastman

New List!

57mm Fastman throttlebody
long tube headers
cams
rolling rockers
forged internals
hood scoop
Eaton LSD
Drag slicks

I think thats it, i hope. IndyRamMan if you see this could you throw me the link to where you got your hood scoop? I cant remember the site but i do remember it had great stuff on it.

Thanks!
Chris

Old 09-08-2008, 08:42 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

57mm? thats way to big. you wont have any power down low. 52mm is what dan (the fastman)recommended for the 360. and 50mm for the 318. and a custom built 53mm if you go with a supercharger is also what he recommends.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

yeah some more advice, get the 52mm fastman for now. Once you get a blower or turbo get the 57mm. You cant utilize the 57 yet, your not forcing enough air down the tb. Its just going to be like a funnel and youll loose power

As for which power adder you want thats up to you. But some advice for that. If you get a blower, youll have power at the very start of your band. But you'll loose power across the rest. Exp. 500hp at 1500 by 4500 youll have 425 or something around there. Blowers are good for power off the line, and mid range. Im not bashing blowers at all i love blowers and i love turbos. Turbos however increase hp across the band. You will have lag with spool time but that can be reduced with tuning and twin turbo systems. Remember its pretty safe to say fatter the turbo the larger the spool time. Another popular method of killing spool time is running a 25 shot of nos at the beginning of your range then pulling it off as your turbo kicks in. AGAIN THOUGH stray away from no is my recommendation unless your engine is built and even then id still say no. Even with turbos and blowers you should have a built engine. If not dont go above 7 PSI or you will be gettin a new engine. If i remember correctly every PSI is 7% HP .

As for the hoodscoops INDY has a very nice one. I love mine also. But a problem weve been having was having a direct air system like the old muscle cars. Everything now comes with a tubing kit of some sort which of course adds restriction. Im workin now on fabing up an airbox for my scoop and the round air filter.

Quick Reply: Winter to do list