2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: Who makes your next truck?
Dodge
69.23%
GMC/Chevy
12.82%
Ford
10.26%
Toyota
0%
Nissan
5.13%
Other?
2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Who makes your next truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:36 PM
360magnumram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love dodge trucks because it kind of the best of both worlds.

Its got great power and its got great reliability. Dodge makes a heavier truck thats more resistant to corrosion unlike chevy who currently and was always known to make lightest trucks. Which is probably why they look like S***boxes after 4 or 5 years.

Ford makes huge trucks but they aren't as powerful or as good looking as the dodges. Plus Ford has all of the same problems that dodge has anyway, tranny, dash,etc. They are more known for crappy front ends though. Not to mention that the diesel trucks get poor gas mileage and lack power.

Dodge is perfect, for me anyway. I love them just gotta work a few kinks out of them thats all.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:33 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 360magnumram

Its got great power and its got great reliability. Dodge makes a heavier truck thats more resistant to corrosion unlike chevy who currently and was always known to make lightest trucks. Which is probably why they look like S***boxes after 4 or 5 years.

Ford makes huge trucks but they aren't as powerful or as good looking as the dodges. Plus Ford has all of the same problems that dodge has anyway, tranny, dash,etc. They are more known for crappy front ends though. Not to mention that the diesel trucks get poor gas mileage and lack power.

Dodge is perfect, for me anyway. I love them just gotta work a few kinks out of them thats all.
I take it you still haven't sold your truck?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish i could get a truck with the body and chassis of a 2nd gen ram, with the interior and powertrain of a 99-04 chevy.

the 98 and down chevy bodys are ugly, and they feel like they weigh a ton when you try to steer them the only redeeming factor was the vortec 350. the 99-04 chevys have an awesome power train, LS series engines, MMMMMMMM. The 99-04 chevys actually look pretty decent, and the interiors are heaven.

The 2nd gen ram interior is seriously lacking. But i love how nimble the truck is, although power is anemic at best. I really dont like the 3rd gen rams at all. The rear ends on the 2nd gens are pretty stout.

They both share the same manual trans. If i went automatic id take the 4l60e over the 46re anyday.

I dont want anything to do with Ford. Ive never liked anything about them.

With that being said, im not really a truck person anyway.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:45 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

dodge, and the next one will be a cummins.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:15 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by 360magnumram

If you think your Dodge is powerful just wait until you drive a Chevy. You will think the Dodge is a joke. That's what I don't get. How Chevy can get better gas mileage while having soo much more power too. That's the biggest reason I want one. Both my uncles Suburban with a 5.3L and a buddies Chevy 2500 with the 6.0L make my 5.9L Dodge seem like a moped. It was a little closer between the 5.9 and Chevy 5.3L but it still felt faster. The 6.0L just flat out blew my truck away power and gas mileage wise.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
If you think your Dodge is powerful just wait until you drive a Chevy. You will think the Dodge is a joke. That's what I don't get. How Chevy can get better gas mileage while having soo much more power too. That's the biggest reason I want one. Both my uncles Suburban with a 5.3L and a buddies Chevy 2500 with the 6.0L make my 5.9L Dodge seem like a moped. It was a little closer between the 5.9 and Chevy 5.3L but it still felt faster. The 6.0L just flat out blew my truck away power and gas mileage wise.
The 5.7 is a quick one also. I love those LS series engines. Best thing chevy ever came up with.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 PM
jram99
Veteran

I will be ordering a new 09 1500 as soon as Dodge get's their website updated with the options. I will also be keeping the 99QC. I've pretty much driven Dodge trucks since highschool. No reason to change now.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:31 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my truck won't last forever.. and I heard that cummins lost the deal with dodge and picked up with ford for the 2010

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ins/index.html

Old 09-12-2008, 02:27 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by iwhitne
my truck won't last forever.. and I heard that cummins lost the deal with dodge and picked up with ford for the 2010

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...ins/index.html
Isn't that a rumor that has been going on for years?

Old 09-12-2008, 05:33 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll have to do more research. There's always been a rumor that Ford bought Cummins or made a deal with them, but that deal fell through. Maybe there's another possible deal going through now, I'll have to look into it.

I think its just a bunch of Ford guys who are jealous trying to make us Dodge owners a little ancy.

Quick Reply: Who makes your next truck?