2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Idler Pulley/ Belt Tensioner?? is it broken? help! --pics--

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 PM
robisconfusedd@yahoo.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idler Pulley/ Belt Tensioner?? is it broken? help! --pics--

The truck is a 5.9L 2001 dodge ram, and yesterday it just started making a light sqealing noise at idle, it sometimes sounds like crickets almost...

I popped the hood and saw that this pulley pictured was wobbling back and forth, and was wondering if that's normal??? if not... is it broken or is there a way to adjust it?

I also wasn't sure if this was the tensioner or just the Idler pulley,

Thanks in advance!!

Name:  IMG_1141.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  70.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1143.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  35.6 KB

Old 09-12-2008, 10:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the tensioner is the pulley in the center of your first pic. its has a center bolt or square hole that allows you to twist it inwards, against the spring, for taking the belt on or off.

the idler pulley is below and to the right. its in a fixed position and does not move, other than to spin.

neither pulley should wobble, nor squeal. both are replaceable. the tensioner assy is about $60 at autozone and fairly easy to replace. i replaced mine at about 120k. it wasn't bad yet, but i was just sort of replacing everything. i've not replaced my idler pulley and have not had any trouble out of it. to inspect them, remove the belt, and turn by hand and try to twist. they should be smooth, and quiet.

i think you can replace the pulley only on the tensioner. i just replaced they whole assy.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 to what vaughan said. But if you mean does the whole tensioner pulley arm bounce a little back and forth then, yes that is normal. Mine has always bounced a bit.

The pulley itself should not wobble around like a wheel that's not been torqued down tight, that means it's loose and shot. The belt tensioner and the idler pulley are both prone to squeaking when they first start to go.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 09-13-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^+1

idler was first for me to go.replaced it. now the tensioner is squeaking. have one need to replace it too.

Quick Reply: Idler Pulley/ Belt Tensioner?? is it broken? help! --pics--