2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hearing grinding noise from t-case? or something maybe something else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Pontgt01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hearing grinding noise from t-case? or something maybe something else?

ok so here's my problem today i was trying to remove the tail housing on the transfer case cause from my understanding the snap ring in the rear tends to break allowing the gears in the t-case to grind a bit in drive. so i bought the snap ring thinking that this shouldn't take long. couple of hours later i still can get it. i removed the driveshaft and then removed the 4 bolts holding on to the t-case tail housing and here's the problem the tail housing refuses to come off like i said i removed the driveshaft and the 4 bolts holding the tail housing on and nothing! is there a trick to removing it? or does it really just slide off? i even called dodge and they told me that it should slide right off but nothing happens. so what do you guys think it could be? i'm about ready to stick a prybar in between to try and get the thing off. oh and the reason i am trying install the snap ring is that when i drive i get a grinding noise coming from the front right by my foot and when i slow down it goes away the u-joints in the rear are fine as i inspected them when i removed the driveshaft so any ideas? i have a 241 DHD transfer case in my 99 ram 5.9 any input would be great.

Last edited by Pontgt01; 09-18-2008 at 12:15 AM. Reason: messed up
Old 09-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Pontgt01

anybody? anybody at all?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:21 PM
huttbutt
Amateur

Try smacking it with a rubber mallet?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

start with a gentle smack.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:22 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Uh oh, don't let this happen http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/...p?post=1312641 , and don't replace the snap ring with another one, get this http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...ase_saver.html .

Sorry, but I cant help you with the dismantling portion of it. I have not done it before. But anyway, good luck.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
PartsChaser
Professional

+1 on the T-case Saver. I am going to do the same thing to mine, please post when you get it separated and fixed!

Quick Reply: hearing grinding noise from t-case? or something maybe something else?