2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

turbochargin the 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:04 PM
neattouch648
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up turbochargin the 5.9

Alright, i've always thought turbocharging my truck would be really cool and from what i've seen the turbocharged 5.9s have like 100 extra horses which is amazing, now i've been playing around with some stuff and i've been able to make an exhaust powered turbo for my truck and get it all working, the turbo blows properly and everything works, i've never actually plugged the out of the turbo into the in of the intake to actually put the boost into the motor, so therein lies my question. What other mods do i have to do to my engine to make the turbo work. i've heard i have to reprogram the computer, does anyone know how to do that? i've got an obd cable to plug in my laptop but i would need the program to reflash it... or is this a lot more than i'm bargaining for?
thanks

Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

youd need a tuner of some sort at the least. the stock pcm is not going to be able to handle the required air/fuel mixture. id be real careful on stock head gaskets, and stock valvetrain. there are vids on youtube of people blowin engine compontents. i think (yall correct me if im wrong) the max boost you can run is like 6-7 psi.

i would go with a upgraded pcm from hughesengines.com or similar store. Me personally, i would upgrade everything i could, then add the turbo charger so i am assured nothing will happen. Your not gonna see the gains you want to with an all stock motor. Try putting some of the mods in my sig (alot of members share these mods) and that will help you gain some extra hp.