2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plowing: Fuel Burn Per Hour

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Kindschi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had four trucks, And I dont know much about plows other then how to do it (sorry im not much help there). But between the 4 trucks we had 9 busted pins.. There not that bad to replace, quicker then pumping gas and cheaper too! Just succks because you gotta lay in the snow! lol. you can do it by yourself but sometimes you gotta get in the truck and make minor adjustments to the blade to line it up with the bracket. One truck was a 3month old 3500 GMC with a new plow, and he did not bust any. Hes the one whos been plowing for like 20+years and said the pins we got with the plow were just not strong enough to take the abuse. Though him we bought some huge heavy duty pins and we dont expect to have as many this year. He said we musta got some cheap ones that the prev owner bought just to hold the blade on. They work, they just dont last but a few hours.

I think we had alot of pins break because they all had some decent play inside the bracket (the pins just were not big enough). It was regular to hope out every 45min or so and check the pins and they would bend like a horseshoe before they snapped. The pins we got for this year are snug as a rug, But we all got a couple pins from HD just incase we break them we dont have to stop plowing all together.

Dont let the pins breaking scare you though, its a minimal expense when you compare it to 70 bucks an hour.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:56 PM
THEGOLDPRO
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry im late lol he wont break any pins on the boss plow because they are not your conventional pins like a older fisher or western, the boss plows are reliable as hell and fast to boot.

as for gas its hard to say depends on alot of varaibles. i usually fill up once before i start and im fine the whole event. (in most cases that is) just take your time go slow and dont kick the **** out of your truck its not worth it for 70 an hour. when you destroy your front end, tranny, blow a u-joint. what ever the case its expensive.

Quick Reply: Plowing: Fuel Burn Per Hour