2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help asap steering wander

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:01 AM
ERJ.RAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help asap steering wander

Good morning all new to the site and new to owning a Dodge. I currently run a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 and I am having trouble with the Steering and Handling. ITS TERRIBLE!!!!
When I am driving the truck on backroads or at speeds under 50mph the steering it okay. But since this truck is a daily driver for me as well as my business vechicle I take it often on the highway which is where I seem to have trouble with it. It wanders, especially switching lanes its almost a feeling of losing control of the truck. I am too the point where I really dont safe bringing it on the highway. I need help from any and all of you I think it may have something too do with the Trackbar or Ball/ U-joints but just want too hear some of your thoughts.
Sorry for such a long post thanks for taking the time

Old 09-25-2008, 09:09 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

get a new thuren fab trackbar and replace all of the worn out bushings and ball joints.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a helper. With it on, crawl under your front bumper and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth. Look at the trackbar mount at the frame. If there's back and forth movement, it needs to be replaced. With it off, jack up a front tire and grab it top and bottom. Try to wiggle it. Someone looking at the ball joints from the front will see if they move. If they do, they need to be replaced.
You didn't say anything about mileage, noise, lift, 2wd vs 4wd, braking, etc.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:04 AM
thewrench

New track bar and steering stabilizer, then try it out. All should run you under 200bucks and can be installed in your driveway w/ hand tools. The ball joints & u joints will cause more of a knocking while turning or over bumps. Feelings of no control, or feeling like the truck is just a handful to drive down the road...replace track bar and stabilizer.

Also, welcome to the world of dodge ram steering, you will never get it perfect, it's just the way thay are...

-Wrench

Old 09-25-2008, 10:22 AM
ERJ.RAM

miles-104k
4wd
breaks were recently done but squeal loud and annoying
trucks makes noise from the front end also more of a squeaking
noise as if something isnt lubed up too well.

attached is pic of truck just so you guys get an idea

Attached Thumbnails Need help asap steering wander-truck12.jpg  
Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 AM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran

I put a stabilizer on my 01 and it really helped

www.solidsteel.ca

Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 AM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran

www.solidsteel.biz is a newer website they put up...

Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 AM
dodgeguy97
Professional

if it sounds like metal against metal when turning wheel back and fourth like something needs greased you need ball joints . sounds like its time to do updating on that front suspension

Old 02-12-2021, 01:41 PM
1997 Gear Rowin' Cummins
Default Other causes of play wander death wobble weak front shocks + loose column ?!

Originally Posted by dodgeguy97
if it sounds like metal against metal when turning wheel back and fourth....time to do updating on that front suspension
Very old thread --- Revived !

Metal on metal or grinding sound when heard loudly in cab - is the sound is originating more from the Steering wheel OR the Floorboards as in 'below the driver' ?

If from the Steering wheel, it's most likely the Column lower bearing that has gone south, factory grease LONG gone. The ***** all grind down & it becomes 'race upon race' and looser than ever !

I'll post a video covering the fault our Ram columns suffer - how the bearing wears out & how to fix it + a great discussion of how weak shocks contribute to 'Death Wobble' dangers.

IF 'metal grinding on metal' sound is from under drivers feet or seat, then it's a chassis related fault like control arm destroyed busing, ball joints, etc.

Loose, sloppy Ram Steering Wander / Play / 'Death Wobble' here's some things to check:

Last edited by 1997 Gear Rowin' Cummins; 02-12-2021 at 01:45 PM. Reason: modify

Quick Reply: Need help asap steering wander