2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced pads and rotors in front-- still pulls to the left

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008 | 11:20 AM
ophidia
|
Captain
Default Replaced pads and rotors in front-- still pulls to the left

My truck (1999 1500 4WD 5.9 litre) was pulling the the left when braking, so I replaced the front pads, rotors, and made sure they calipers weren't frozen. They both compressed easily when I used a c-clamp to retract them, so I think they're find.

The truck still shakes and pulls to the left under braking. Is it possible that the left rear drum is hanging up some? Do they sometimes develop smooth and rough spots so they will make it feel rough/shakey while braking? Would it be worth my time to take them off and maybe sand the braking surface of the drums?

I hate working on drum brakes. The springs always cause me problems.

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2008 | 07:11 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Have you checked all the front suspension parts and hub bearings to make sure it's all good? If it is , you should replace the brake hoses too, they can expand or collapse inside and cause this. But I would look at the rears anyway and adjust them properly like you should every so often.

Old 09-26-2008 | 09:52 PM
EricCartman
Veteran

Have you sprayed brake cleaner on your front discs yet?

Once I had to rebuild a knuckle (on a Toyota) and I happened to get just the tiniest bit of grease on there... and it would pull quite severely. A few shots of brake cleaner and the problem went away.

Good Luck,
Cartman

Old 09-26-2008 | 11:21 PM
Littenracing

I think your trak bar has play in it.

Old 09-27-2008 | 07:02 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i'd guess the right front hose is soft, and swelling under braking. replace both front hoses.

Old 09-27-2008 | 10:22 AM
dillonjm
Veteran

In short, yes Drums like disks can get hot and warp and develop poor break feel. Also, just like disks, every time you do a break change on them the drums need to be turned (if still within spec) or replaced.

However, I'd guess your pulling problem is up front somewhere.

Old 09-27-2008 | 01:30 PM
ophidia
|
Captain

When I pulled the rear brakes apart, I found a leaking wheel cylinder. Problem solved. As far as the trac bar, that was replaced Wednesday, so that should be good.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

Chris

Quick Reply: Replaced pads and rotors in front-- still pulls to the left