2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Temp Sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:01 PM
insulinboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE Temp Sensor??

Okay so I have a quick question. I have done some searching but am admitedly a little impatient/lazy at times and couldnt find my answer.

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 club cab 2 wheel peel short bed with a 5.9L (360) magnum and the 46RE transmission. I bought the truck in febuary because it was cheep ($2500) and ran like a champ, the transmission was however bad in it (shifts fine, just no O/D) I bought it under my dumb assumption it was probobly just a bad shift silionoid (yeah I know, my spelling sucks I should have paid more attention in high school) So I took the pan off, adjusted the bands, changed filter and fluid and changed the O/D silionoid.

So the truck still doesnt shift into overdrive, Except now if I drive it all day long it will start shifting into overdrive. Wont hesitate or anything, works just like its supposed to. I just have to be driving on the highway at 70 for an hour or two before it will work. Ive learned that dodge had this great (note the sarchasm) idea to put a temp sensor in the transmission to prevent it from shifting into overdrive when its cold.

My question is this. I have taken it to the dealer and they say that the computer is telling the transmission to shift, its just not doing it and they belive its somthing broken in the internals of the transmission. Ive been in there twice and there were no particles, nothing. fluid looked decent but old, no shinny particles, no sludge, nothing out of the ordinary. I think since they just took it for a quick test drive and it didnt shift they think Im retarded and am going to give them money to fix it, and I refuse because I dont trust dealers and because I dont think anybody at dodge knows how to build a transmission. Im of the belief that my temp sensor probobly has taken a ****, so is there a way to possibly test it? or to short it out without tearing into the trans again to check to see if this is my issue before I order it? I also know it could be a torque converter issue but it doesnt seem to be slipping. does anyone here have any other advice or suggestions? ive put electric diode grese in all the elctrical connections and dont belive this to be an issue.

Any and all help is appreciated
Thanks
Adam

Old 09-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Sharpsshooter
Rookie

Sounds like a pretty good guess.

The best reference I can find for it is in the 2001 FSM p.21-606. It doesn't give much info, though it does indicate where to find it and that normal resistance for the thermistor at room temperature is about 1000 ohms. Maybe you can remove it and test it.

Good luck

Old 09-29-2008, 07:00 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy fix. Replace your Governor pressure sensor. Chrysler put a temp sensor in with the Gov. sensor.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:30 PM
insulinboy

Thanks, picked up the gov sensor, oil, and the trans filter kit today. might as well do it all since Im in there again. Just wanted to make sure this wasnt another futile attempt. may still be but its nice to know Im not the only one that thinks it makes sence. the people at the dealership when I picked up the part looked at me like I was retarded.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:54 PM
insulinboy

okay so Ive replaced the sylonoid, the sensor, now what.. still not shifting regularly and now Im stumped All I can think is that maybe I missed somthing

BTW: I forgot to add, in changeing the sensor I found out that I have a 99 transmission in a 2000 model truck, that make any difference?

Old 10-03-2008, 09:19 PM
highlander73
Professional

Any way you can get a trans temperature gauge installed? They usually/more simply get installed in-line with the cooler lines under the hood but the closer you put it towards the transmission itself the better. Silver Dodge is the one I would ask about trans temperature gauges.

I think this will tell you if you are on the right track, and the gauge/sensor package could be had for less than $100 I'm sure. Plus its a good idea to have one anyway.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:20 PM
highlander73
Professional

Wait - have you checked the switch on the dashboard to make sure it is not shorting out or something? The switch that turns off the OD function of the tranny I'm talking about.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:30 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still doing the same thing? Did you replace the sensor with the exact same one? There are two different ones.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:17 AM
insulinboy

yes, replaced with the exact same one. when the 2000 model part wasnt right I brought the temp sesor to dodge to have them look me up the right part number and they told me I had a 99 transmission not a 2000. I did take the valve body out. that little plastic thing with the spring above the valve body, Im wondering if I maybe in my haste (it got late, I missed dinner I was tired and sore, Ive had several back injurys that makes it difficult and painful to work over my head) I put that in backwards. its a white plastic tube with a fat part and a rubber o ring around the fat part, spring only sits on it one way. it looks like there could be a clip or a washer around one part of it but there is no clip or washer on it. I installed it spring side agenst the valve body, is this correct or did I put it back in backwords and need to go back in for another try?

Old 10-04-2008, 05:18 AM
insulinboy

as far as the switch, it turns the light in the dash on and off. Im assumeing its working as its supposed to. your talking about the button on the end of the gear selector correct?

Quick Reply: 46RE Temp Sensor??