2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gibson headers on sale NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Gibson headers on sale NOW!

I been shopping for these for a while now.

Just picked up the SS ceramic coated shorties for $594 at Jegs. They were $50 more at summit and they were $772 just last week. Saved me $178 bux!

These will be nice with the new heads and Cam.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:20 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did I think you had long tubes already?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Great market timing, Squirrels!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:23 AM
V10Dodger

Squirrels
If you haven't run the new cam in yet you should before you install your new ceramic coated headers. If you don't the headers will turn dull gray while you break in the cam. You probably already know that, I just thought I would mention it in case you didn't!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:34 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, I got real lucky!

Heads and cam might have to be put off until Christmas. I'll need to get to a Dyno or buy an wideband A/F meter to get it dialed in. Sean can't "guess" that far out of stock. I've been meaning to go to a dyno anyway, but I'll need to do it during my 2 week break when I can get to a local Dyno shop.

v10 thanks for the heads up about the headers, I didn't know they wouldn't stand up to that 20 mins of heat. I can put the stock manifolds back on for the break in, since the headers will have to come off for the head swap anyway.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by V10Dodger
Squirrels
If you haven't run the new cam in yet you should before you install your new ceramic coated headers. If you don't the headers will turn dull gray while you break in the cam. You probably already know that, I just thought I would mention it in case you didn't!
I've never heard of this. Why should it make any difference? Isn't the coating already "baked" or "set" onto the headers?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 PM
V10Dodger

Originally Posted by tdrex
I've never heard of this. Why should it make any difference? Isn't the coating already "baked" or "set" onto the headers?
Yes the coating is baked, but that is not anything close to what exhaust gas tempetures reach while breaking in a cam at 2000 RPM's for about 20 min's. of initial start up.
It takes several heat cycles to complete the curing process of ceramic coated headers. During initial start up (to brake in a new cam, etc.) the egt's are much higher than normal and as you know header tubing is thin, especialy in the bends which will be the first part of the header that will turn a dull gray. The next thing that will discolor will be the collector area where the primaries come together.

If you read the fine print, most header Mfg's will tell you that, and they can void your warranty if they determin that is the cause of the coating failure.

I hope that helps you understand tdrex.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by V10Dodger
I hope that helps you understand tdrex.
Yes, thanks for the info. I'll be installing new headers on my rebuild and I don't want to be shorting the life of the coating if I can help it.

Quick Reply: Gibson headers on sale NOW!