2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stupid tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Shovel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid tranny question

What exactly is the difference between a 2wd and a 4wd transmission? I have a 98 Ram with the 46re that needs replacing and I have a chance to pick up a good unit out of a 2wd. I am on a tight budget and was wondering if I can get away with just swapping out the tailshaft with my transfer case? I really need to get this done before winter sets in. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:01 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The overdrive unit is the only real difference.

You could just swap over the overdrive unit. It will be difficult for the inexperienced, but doable.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Shovel

Is it really worth the effort or should I try to find one from a 4wd?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:36 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shovel
Is it really worth the effort or should I try to find one from a 4wd?
Well it depends on how familiar you are with the transmissions internal workings. For me it would be worth it (though i would just build the whole thing myself). For someone who doesnt know anything about them, no it wouldnt be worth it. You would have to pay a shop to do it and they will either not take the job or overcharge you. Or you do it yourself and mess something up and your further in the hole.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Shovel

I dont know much about the autos but I have an ATSG tech manual for it. It covers everything up to a full rebuild. To be honest, they do make me pretty nervous so I think I will stay away from the 2wd. If I were going to get that involved I would just buy a rebuild kit and go that route. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Stupid tranny question