2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:11 AM
scottiekarate17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical help

Okay so here is what happened. I was driving my buddies 89 GMC 2500 the other day and it was raining. So naturally i turned on the wippers. Soon after i turned them on i noticed that something was smelling like it was burning. Then smoke started to come from the steering collum. So I pulled over and turned off the wippers and shut her off. Now the wippers wont work. Does anyone really know what happened and how we can fix it? Any help is helpful. Thanks. And sorry i know this isn't about a dodge truck

Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm guessing the wiper switch on the column needs to be replaced, and/or you need to check the wiring in the column coming from the switch. Sounds like it might have melted some wires or something.

You might have better luck on a GMC forum, although wiper stuff is kind of generic across the brands I assume.

Just tell him to trade it in for a good Dodge Ram.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bad wiper motor drawing too much current, and the column wiring burned before the "slow blow" fuse could do its job.

Quick Reply: electrical help