2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water in headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:27 PM
tazman6789
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in headlight

So just bought new headlights like 6 months ago, dont know the brand its an aftermarket, im out of warranty and now i have freaking moisture in the lense, any idea how i can seal the light better so i can get the stupid water spots to go away? Thanks

Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

also. its a 1500 4x4 sport, how do i get the light out? i have the 3 bolts out and its still stuck theres like a 4th pin that goes through and on the other side feels like some sorta clip not a nut, i tried just tugging on the thing and it doesnt budge.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:18 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember what all I had to take loose to get the light out. I got it loose but I never got it out as I couldn't get the bumper far enough down without taking it off so I just worked on the light with it in the truck.

Anyway what I did was take it all apart then seal it back up with silicone. Previous to this I had drilled holes in the bottom to let water drain out. It didn't stop it from getting moisture in it but let it come out. I had like a 1/2" of water sloshing around at one point. That's when I drilled holes. It would get moisture after rain for a day or two then most of it would drain out. I filled these up with silicone when I resealed it. However, I'm thinking I may have ended up having to open back up the drain holes. I can't remember if I did or not but I'm thinking I did as it was leaking again. Maybe I didn't I can't remember for sure if they are sealed up or not right now. If it gets any in it now it does seem to come out fairly quick and it gets a lot less in it than before. My headlights were replaced under warranty for this then one did it again so that's why I tried fixing it instead of spending $100 and some bucks on a new one from the dealer when they don't seem to last anyway.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:36 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Youll never get that sucker totally sealed. Ive had this problem on numerous vehicles. Just drill a .050" hole at the bottom in a inconspicuous place on the light and be done with it. Once i drilled the hole i never had a problem with water or condensation.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:25 PM
dodgeguy97
Professional

i agree with you guy's as composite lights on all vechicles do this no way around it just drill and go

Quick Reply: Water in headlight