2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Guage is WAY off

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Fiah
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Guage is WAY off

Today I was driving like normal and all of a sudden my truck ( 01 1500 ) started missing and jerking and I looked at the fuel gaauge and It showed 1/4 of a tank. Well about a min later the truck died. I checked the tank with a rod and it showed dead empty. Could this be the guage or the fuel reader inside the tank? I know about zero when it comes to trucks so I figured I would ask here for some advice. Thx in advance.

BTW Ive had the truck only a month and it was only the second time I was around 1/4 of a tank. The first time was when I bought the truck it was around 1/8 and was fine..then I topped it off from there.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:58 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel Guage is WAY off

Sending unit would be my guess.

Old 02-06-2005, 11:36 PM
440Duster

Usually the sending unit is the problem. Either the float arm on the sending unit is bent down too far or there is a bad spot in the rheostat element on the sending unit. You can bend the float arm on the sending unit if you jam a hose into the fuel tank during an attempt to siphon fuel, provided you can even get the hose in past the anti-siphon mechanism in the fuel fill neck.

I would plan on replacing the sending unit or just remember that you are nearing empty at 1/4 tank!!!

Old 02-07-2005, 01:01 AM
TPSDODGE
Professional

my 95 does the same thing...i think i gonna replce the sending unit good place to buy www.rockauto.com

Quick Reply: Fuel Guage is WAY off