2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 ram 1500 bumper towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Capslock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 ram 1500 bumper towing capacity

Hi

New the forum, hello hello, hopefully i will be sticking around...

I am looking to buy 1994 dodge 1500, v8 4x4. The truck was raised and has a replaced transmission and has wide tires.

So a few questions:

It has a ball on its bumper, what do these types of hitches typically tow? In terms of hitches, is a bumper hitch a class III on this type of truck? Is it rated differently? Do they typically support more or less weight than installing a hitch? I know these trucks can haul about 5800 lbs but i dont know if that means with an installed hitch or on the bumper hitch, can someone confirm this?

The transmission is said to be the same type as its original, i assume if it was different this can affect towing capacity. I will be attempting to check the history of the trans before buying.

Since this truck is raised, does this affect towing / payload? I would think this would mean i could, in theory, handle more weight in the payload. can someone confirm this?

Really, I plan to tow only a 19ft open bow boat which this truck can most definitely support. The trailer states it requires a class 4 hitch that can support 6000 lbs, however i know the boats dry weight is 1700 lbs, even with the engine and trailer i imagine at most the weight would be 3500 lbs so i believe that the 6000lb req. the max load of the trailer.

Thank you for any replies.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome.
towing with the bumper will cause the bumper to get out of position/adjustment, or worse - bent. avoid a big headache and get a frame mount receiver hitch, and take the ball off the bumper.

i also have a 19' boat on a single axle trailer. i bought a reese class 3 hitch from walmart for about $110. installation was easy and it fit around the spare tire nicely. i also got a 4 pin trailer wiring adapter that plugs into the tail light connector, also a 6" drop ball mount to get my ball down to the right height. if you have a lift, you may need a bigger drop on the ball mount.

i also installed a tranny cooler, because our stock transmissions suck. be sure you don't ever tow in overdrive, or it'll burn it up.

your lift has nothing much to do with your towing capacity, other than requiring a larger drop on the ball mount. i think your truck will tow your boat fine, and i think a class 3 hitch with a really stout ball mount will be fine. does your trailer have brakes, that helps more than anything...

Old 10-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Viper37
Banned

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
your lift has nothing much to do with your towing capacity,
Except for that whole center of gravity thing..

Old 10-23-2008, 06:20 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

legally you must tell your insurance company that you have a modified truck with a lift and non-factory approved tires and are towing with it ... otherwise the fine print in your policy will leave you without insurance coverage if an accident occurs while towing

Old 10-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Bam24609

dont tow anything from the bumper spend the money and get a hitch and tow things the right way

Quick Reply: 1994 ram 1500 bumper towing capacity