2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where should I splice for trailer wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Capslock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where should I splice for trailer wiring?

Hi,

I have a 1995 dodge ram 1500 SLT 4x4.

I have been looking around on the net but cannot find a direct answer and I do not want to cut somewhere I should not.

I would like to install a 4-prong wire harness for my trailer. I took the lights off the back of the truck and looked underneith to see my options.

It appears the lights are attached to a plug of sorts, though I cannot seem to easily disconnect this, I do not want to force it and risk breaking my trucks tail lights.

Where should I splice? or, is the truck designed for a t-connector that I can purchase from auto zone or the like?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:15 PM
87notcher

Yes, I just did this on my truck. They make the T connector for it that plugs into the taillamp harness on each side. I got mine from etrailers.com

Old 10-26-2008, 08:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 AM
hjpark

[QUOTE=dhvaughan;1439378]http://www.etrailer.com/pc-VWH~118329.htm[/QUOTE

I have a 1999 Ram 1500 with the factory tow package. My current seven prong plug in the back for the trailer is all corroded and won't stay on and I'd like to replace it. I was able to take it off and it seems to have plugged into a rectangular plug with 8 prongs inside. Will the above item from e-trailer plug into that receptacle? Will I need anything else? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:43 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no. the item above is an standard 4 wire connector that taps into the trucks tail lights. it sounds like you need a new pigtail, or receptacle for the factory tow package. i don't know if its generic, or if you'd need to visit the dealer. if its just a pigtail, it shouldn't be too terrible expensive.

edit. you might want this.
http://www.etrailer.com/c-ELEPWD.htm

oops. maybe not.
  • 2002- current Dodge Vehicles
  • 2004- current Chrysler Vehicles
  • 2002- current Jeep Vehicles

Last edited by dhvaughan; 04-10-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:59 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get one on ebay its cheaper

Old 04-10-2009, 10:46 AM
hjpark

Well it looks like the part from etrailer for the 2002 Dodge ram might work. The rectangular plug looks just like the one on my 99 except it has one prong missing. Anyone know if they are compatible? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:07 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Capslock
Hi,

I have a 1995 dodge ram 1500 SLT 4x4.

I have been looking around on the net but cannot find a direct answer and I do not want to cut somewhere I should not.

I would like to install a 4-prong wire harness for my trailer. I took the lights off the back of the truck and looked underneith to see my options.

It appears the lights are attached to a plug of sorts, though I cannot seem to easily disconnect this, I do not want to force it and risk breaking my trucks tail lights.

Where should I splice? or, is the truck designed for a t-connector that I can purchase from auto zone or the like?
take $15+ tax and go to O'Reilly autoparts and get the Dodge trailer wiring harness plug-in-play setup. It will take you 5 minutes to do and it works great. It plugs in between the the plug where your taillights plug into the wiring harness coming from the front of the truck. get under the bed of your truck look up behind the tail lights and you'll see the square looking plug. seperate it and plug each in into the after market one. do the same for the other side. they are clearly marked RT side and LFT side for ease. Then just plug your 4-pin trailer harness in and go

Old 04-10-2009, 03:02 PM
hjpark

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
no. the item above is an standard 4 wire connector that taps into the trucks tail lights. it sounds like you need a new pigtail, or receptacle for the factory tow package. i don't know if its generic, or if you'd need to visit the dealer. if its just a pigtail, it shouldn't be too terrible expensive.

edit. you might want this.
http://www.etrailer.com/c-ELEPWD.htm

oops. maybe not.
  • 2002- current Dodge Vehicles
  • 2004- current Chrysler Vehicles
  • 2002- current Jeep Vehicles

I took my truck to a place in Atlanta called Tow Pro Hitches and Repair. At first I was going to have them splice in a seven plug because my old enclosure was bent and everything was corroded. They actually had something very similar to the item above and it worked just fine. Even had a tester on board and everything.
Now if I could just get my Hazards to work.

Quick Reply: Where should I splice for trailer wiring?