2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I have a problem with my head lights...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 PM
1Mean318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a problem with my head lights...

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500SLT reg cab with the 318, I love the truck, but it has had it's fair share of problems, but luckly none of them have been too major(Oil sludging issuses). I am however having one problem I can't really put my finger on and I've looked in my chiltons manual for a little insight, and i've still come up short. When I got the truck, the Day Time running light Relay was cooked, so the guy just ran with his brights on and unplugged the relay. I was tired of people flashing their brights at me, and getting honked at, so I put a new relay in. Lights worked fine, Day time low beam, pull the switch, get your nighttime beam, and high beam. What I started to notice driving home from work at night, Was that when I would tilt my streeing wheel down, the night beam would kick out and go back to day time beam(very weak) then If I tilted the wheel back up, they would come on again, So it was safe to say, I had a short in one of the wires. Then it stopped completely, and to this day, Im not sure what to do now, I pulled the cover off the streering colum, and tried to trace wires back, but have had no luck. The wire I believe is causing the problem runs into my turn signal selector box..... and has about 30 wires with it. Has anyone else ever had this lighting issue? thank god for my fog lights or I would be almost totally in the dark. Day time running lights are too dim to drive at night with.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Justin

Old 10-26-2008, 11:57 PM
charginscott
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it is in the dimmer switch wires. If you take that little black cover off the left side of the steering wheel to get to the wires I will be willing to bet it is the top one or two wires in the connector. That is what I found on my 00 Ram Sport

Quick Reply: I have a problem with my head lights...