2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Backup Camera, opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Kindschi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Backup Camera, opinions needed

So I have decided to add a backup camera to my truck, Its height does make it hard to backup sometimes and I always fear a small child or something else is behind me in a parking lot.

Im asking for opinions on a good one to use. I have a In-dash dvd player with the line in cable so im covered on the screen aspect but still need the camera.

I only have a few needs.
Night Vision
Waterproof
Affordable- Im thinking like a max around 50bucks

I have been on the ebay and see all kinds from hong kong for like 25bucks shipped, Anyone have any experience on these? Good/Bad? Got a better one thats around 50 bucks maybe alittle more and you wanna recommend, post it up.

Any input is welcome,
Thanks,
-K

Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 PM
nolazach
Veteran

Hey, I got a night vision back-up camera from ebay.

It was really nice(get to that in a second) I paid like $40 shipped. It had the IR leds around the camera, and the camera itself attached to the license plate. I had posted pics on this site when I installed it. Now after I drove through flood water after Hurricane Gustav, and it fogged up but after a few minutes with the hair dryer it cleaned up nicely.

I had a in dash DVD system with the camera hookup. I had the camera to were it came on with the reverse or when I flipped a switch, to do this you need two relays.

I can help you with the wiring too. Do not use the tailights to power the camera. Unless you want the camera to come on only with reverse lights. I think running a power wire to the camera was better. When I first installed it, whenever I used the switch to turn on the camera my reverse lights came on, so I had to add a second relay.

I'll draw up a diagram and post it tomorrow.

Now I hope you have a good alarm.
A few weeks ago I was running late to the Hornets/ GSwarriors pregame, so I paked in the ghetto and then walked to the arena. When I cam back my window was smashed my dvd player was stolen and so was my camera.

I'm in process of installing an alarm and theft deterent system. Then I will probably go with a less visible camera. Because that camera will advertise that you have a TV in your truck and our radios mount to cheap plastic. I am going to add small cables to the radio frame and bolt them to the truck, if I can.

The camera install is very easy. It made parking in the french quarter much easier and its just cool to have.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:55 AM
Zeppelinrocks
Veteran

I have one and I hate the place i mounted it, i put it underneath the tailgate yet above the bumper. The one i have was Diesel Audio camera, it has a great picture quality but it has horrible depth perception, it appears that i am close to the wall then i actually am. Also because where i mounted it the night vision is useless because the paint makes the whole half of the picture a blur because of the leds. If you get one i recommend mounting it onto the bumper or get the license plate one that nolazach has.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera, opinions needed