2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Put some new bulbs in the R1 and took some pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Put some new bulbs in the R1 and took some pictures.

It's super hard to get a picture of the color of headlights here. Anyway, I ordered a set of 8000k HID's for the low beams but they haven't come in yet. I also ordered a pair of leds to replace the little corner bulbs in the headlights but they also haven't come in yet. Since I figured HID's in the low beams and stock bulbs in the high beams would look a little funny I decided to get some super white bulbs for the high beams. I wasn't concerned with the light output so much due to the fact that I will have the HID's. Plus I've used these bulbs in several cars so I know I'm happy with them for the most part and the light output is pretty good. Not sure they will be near as blue as the 8000k HID's probably more of a match for the 4300k or the 6000k ones but we will see when they get here.

Anyway, here are pictures although you can hardly tell a difference. In person it is a way bigger difference than in these pictures although they are just pure white with a slight hint of blue instead of the stock ones which are yellow looking. These aren't really blue but just pure white with a hint like I said.

I put one in the projectors just to see how it looked and they were more blue but they still didn't show up much in the pictures. I'm not exactly sure which ones had it in the low beam and which ones didn't.

Onto the pictures

Here is the bike just sitting there lights off.
Name:  FarenheitH7BulbsimR11.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  124.3 KB

Here it is with the left side a Farenheit bulb and the right side stock. It appears to have a lot of glare here but some angles it has slightly more and some angles it seems to have less. I think it's from how the bike leans on the kickstand not that it's got a lot of glare.
Name:  FarenheitH7BulbsimR18.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  95.2 KB

Here you can tell the difference some.
The right side which is stock
Name:  FarenheitH7BulbsimR117.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  59.0 KB

The left side which is the Farenheit
Name:  FarenheitH7BulbsimR114.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  50.7 KB

Both sides here I think have them
Name:  FarenheitH7BulbsimR142.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  40.2 KB

Here it is with the lights off. Some hate this look but I love it and to me are one of the main reasons I run these in other vehicles too. I love how they look when off plus they don't look bad when lit even though the camera doesn't show much of a difference there is a clear difference when looking at them side to side. If you don't have a stock bulb next to them they look just white. With a stock bulb next to them they are whiteish with a blue hint.

Name:  FarenheitH7BulbsimR155.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  87.0 KB
Name:  FarenheitH7BulbsimR156.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  73.1 KB
Name:  FarenheitH7BulbsimR151.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  64.7 KB
Name:  FarenheitH7BulbsimR150.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  101.6 KB

I think these look especially good off with the blue bike.

I can't wait for the HID low beams to come in and the LED corner bulb things. I think it will look amazing then. These bulbs look really good in person as I said although not sure if they are as blue as 8000k or not. Maybe a 4300k or 6000k not sure though.

I'm also debating on if I should get a dark smoke windshield or just leave the stock one on. What do you guys think? So far the bike is stock other than a tank protector, lights now, brake lines, and GTYR Frame Sliders.

What do you guys think?

Since this is a truck forum I will throw a picture in of the Dodge too. I may have posted this before not sure if I have or not.
Name:  06Accordand01RamSeptember162008082.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  144.3 KB

Last edited by hometheaterman; 10-30-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Kindschi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice bike,
I got one 8k HID in my bike as my other is in my roomates bike (which reminds me I need to get it back).

2006 600RR

Without Flash

With Flash on

And a side view below

Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Nice how do you like those? I couldn't decide between the 8k and the 6k. I also considered the 4300k but wanted some blue to them. Your fog lights look awesome but I didn't want 1000k as my main headlights. So that's why I didn't get them. Anyway how do you like them? What kind of bulbs are you running on the left side of your bike? Were the 8000k's a big improvement over stock? If I like them I may put a set in the car or truck or both.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Viper37
Banned

Noo not blue headlights again!

In all honesty, DO NOT GET BLUE HEADLIGHTS. They put out less lumens than 4300/5000k.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I know they do and I really thought about getting 4300k but honestly on a bike I feel you need to stand out some so that people see you and some color to the headlights makes it stand out from the rest of the cars on the road with white headlights.

I've also been looking at the Lumens outputs and while it is less than 4300k bulbs put out it's way more than standard halogen bulbs put out and this thing has decent headlights with regular bulbs. I figured if I don't like them I can always change the bulbs.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 10-30-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Viper37
Banned

Lumen's aren't the only factor though. A light meter and your eye see very differently. Blue is the least visible color of the spectrum, this your distance vision will suck with blue.

Read this: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html

Old 10-30-2008, 08:30 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I've read that before and know all about it and that's one of the reasons I had such a hard time deciding what temp bulbs to go with. Finally I just gave in and ordered some. If I don't like them once I get them I can always change them out. You can find HID bulbs on eBay for like $25 with free shipping in whatever temp you want pretty much. Or I can get new ones for $80 through the company I'm getting the HID kit from.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Kindschi
Veteran

(Bike)I love them and there a huge improvement over the stock bulbs. My Other headlight is a MTEC HID wannabe bulb, Its more white then blue but the HID overpowers it without any problems.

(Truck) I love the headlights, they are way brighter then the stock blubs I replaced and really increased my sight distance, My buddy has a 99 Sport with stock bulbs we lined up side by side and after I turned on my Headlights/Fog you could not even tell his were on unless you looked at his truck. But I would not recommend the 10k's for headlights as there way blue, they do light up alot but they put off alot of blue reflection. I got them pretty much for looks only.

As for 8k being blue, Its an improvement over stock so your still upgrading. If you want the best light output then get 5000 or 4300. But if you going for improvement and looks, i'd get the 8k Blue.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:52 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Well, the LED's I ordered from SuperBrightLEDs.com came in today and I got them in. I wish they would ship the HID's I'm not the best at waiting and since I have the rest of this stuff already on it really makes me want them.

Anyway here are a bunch of pictures I took of the LED's. I think the total for these was like right around $13 for both with shipping and all. Although, they do say not to use in headlight housings as the heat will kill the leds and void the warranty. If they die I will change to something else I guess. Any of you use them? Does the heat actually hurt them that quickly?

Anyway, onto the pictures.

Here is the stock bulb out of the housing
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1001.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  53.8 KB

Here is the LED
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1003.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  56.4 KB

Stock in the housing
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1015.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  85.9 KB

LED
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1014.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  56.3 KB

Stock compared to LED inside the garage where it's darker
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1018.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  77.1 KB

Outside with stock compared to LED
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1011.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  90.5 KB

With all lights on. Here you can really see the difference in color between the stock low beams, Farenheit high beams, and then these LEDs.
Stock side bulbs
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1027.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  39.9 KB

LED's

Both sides LED
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1055.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  120.5 KB
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1058.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  62.6 KB
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1053.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  54.3 KB
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1057.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  56.4 KB
Name:  LEDbulbsinR1048.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  85.9 KB

As you can see these are a fair bit bluer than the Farenheit bulbs but I think they look great. The Farenheit bulbs are a pure white with a hint of blue and these things are white with quite a bit of blue but I wouldn't say pure blue. I hope they match the HID headlights. Even being bluer than the high beams I think they still look okay. I really like these.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:11 AM
Kindschi
Veteran

Leds look sick. Very nice touch.

I have Leds in my rams headlights (they blink when my alarm is active or remote start) and they never had any problems with the heat.. And Before that they were in my camaro for 3 years less then an inch from the bub. Maybe because the R1's headlights are so confined the heat may affect them more but I would not lose any sleep over it. I bet they will be fine.

PS: My 3rd eye on my Bike is LED red, Leds Rock!

Quick Reply: Put some new bulbs in the R1 and took some pictures.