2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:25 PM
AFultz87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Wiring Harness

Anybody know the difference between the Sport (9004,9007)and Non-Sport (9004) model headlight wiring harness? I recently put Non-sport headlights in my Sport and now everything is messed up. I spliced the 9007 wires into the 9004s and now it's just ****ty. Anybody know how much Non-sport harnesss are and where I can get one?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Satellite

Try LMC Truck: http://www.lmctruck.com/ICATALOG/DE/t.aspx?Page=24

I installed the heavy-duty headlight harness in my '96 sport (single bulb) and it works great. I don't know if it will work on a '99-'02 sport that had single bulb headlights installed, though.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used that LMC harness and it sucked for my setup. Would work fine but once I turned the fog lights on problems started. If I put the high beams on then turned them off it would flip the low beams on but also the high beams would stick on with them and wouldn't go off until I turned the fog lights off. I also had my high beam light dimly lit in the dash all the time when the foglights were on. Not sure why. I did some trouble shooting but never found the issue and quit looking into it and ended up just unhooking this harness and using the stock wiring.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:11 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

HTM, my high beam indicator was dimly lit like that when I had the ground and low beam (I think it was low beam) wire crossed from where they were supposed to go. When I turned on my lows, both highs and lows came on. When i turned on my highs, the lows came on.

Flipped the ground wire to where its supposed to be, and bam, just fine. Only then I discovered my EuroDezigns bulbs are actually crap, only reason they were as bright as I liked is because they had both filaments burning at the same time due to my crossed wiring. So I went to Eurolite, which is highly regarded on many ricer forums as being bright, 7000k temp, and not as bad (or expensive) as going HID.

AFultz87, I'm not sure on the Sport wiring, but I do know that the 9007s were for lows and the 9004s were for highs. Here is a bulb diagram showing which wires are which for both. Hope it helps.

Last edited by jasonw; 11-06-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

It's not really plug and play if you have to rewire the harness however, I did try to switch some wires and never got it working right so ended up taking it off. I may someday work on it more and see if I can't get it working.

Which Eurolite's did you go with? I have used most of their bulbs. I've tried Super Plasma's, Crystals, and Fusions. I think those are the only ones I've tried. I liked Eurolite stuff but I'd say it's about like stock. Not much better. Except for maybe and I mean maybe the Super Plasma's and they only lasted like 2 months per set.

I've tried tons of different aftermarket bulbs and just put HID's in my R1. Honestly, no bulb I have ever tried has even come close to holding a candle to the HID's I wish I had done these a long time ago. I tried to tell myself many times that they probably weren't worth it but honestly they are. Not sure if they would be in a Ram without retrofitting the headlight as I've read bad things about HID's in stock Ram headlights but in the R1 that had projectors they are awesome.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:30 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

With my aftermarket headlights, the Eurolites.

I believe mine are the crystal series. They are also the amped up ones... 80w lows and 100w highs. Still dimmer than then the aftermarket HID kits I see on the road, and much better than stock.

I also have a set of Nokya 100w lows/120w highs I am going to try if the Eurolites ever burn out. Nokyas are supposed to be worse bulbs, but we'll maybe see.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:52 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

On the 99/01 sport head lights the 9004 bulb works on high beam only, the 9007 on high and low. I have them on my 96 with silver star bulbs and it is a great improvement over original equipment.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:20 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by jason.w
With my aftermarket headlights, the Eurolites.

I believe mine are the crystal series. They are also the amped up ones... 80w lows and 100w highs. Still dimmer than then the aftermarket HID kits I see on the road, and much better than stock.

I also have a set of Nokya 100w lows/120w highs I am going to try if the Eurolites ever burn out. Nokyas are supposed to be worse bulbs, but we'll maybe see.
I've tried those Nokya's and the Crystals although the Crystal's I used were the 55 watt version in a Honda.

The Nokya's I thought sucked. I found myself leaning over trying to see. The color was awesome but they lit up the road the same color as the road and made it super hard to see. I ended up taking them out and taking them back to the store. I bought them when Circuit City sold them. They looked cool but that was about it.

The Eurolites having used to stock wattage ones were okay. They seemed to be about as good as stock. If not as good close and they looked a ton better. They are one of the better bulbs I've tried but definately not HID worthy. A friend ran the high wattage ones in a van and those were decent too.

I have also run several sets of Farenheit bulbs and like them a lot. As well, as a set of Cuzo's I currently run in my truck. I like them but they are nothing like HID's. They just look really good and light up the road decently.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:49 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If I could find Farenheit or Cuzos I would try them, but the Eurolites were the only bulbs I can find frequently discussed on the net. Well, that and the crappy Sylvanias.

Quick Reply: Headlight Wiring Harness