2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hub assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 PM
MossyOak99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub assemblies

So I am going to be digging into a project with my truck. I need to replace both front hub assemblies as well as the outer wheel joints. Does anyone know if this is a very difficult thing to do? I was quoted $1100 dollars at a shop yet I can buy the parts for less than $400. This would be why I will be doing the work. I do not have 4 wheel ABS so I don't have that to worry about. Does anyone know what else I should check while I am in that far? Also is there an easy way to get the wheel joints out? Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:09 PM
jmhai
Veteran

http://pavementsucks.com/tech/hub.php

Should answer most of your questions...

Old 11-09-2008, 08:47 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that seems high. I had both mine replaced, and a new half shaft and u-joint (drivers side) for $800. I thought that was high!!
The bearings can be found for about $150 for the pair.

BUT... while you have the bearings out, you should:
Replace both u-joints.
Replace both axle seals.

The trend seems to go like this...
First the bearings go, then the u-joints, then the axle seals.

check out the DIY that jmhai posted, that will tell you the tool list, and it states about 3hrs of work.

best of luck.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 AM
95laRAMie
Rookie

I did both sides of mine this summer. Cost me about $240 in parts, cuz i got the bearings, and premium u-joints at the same time. Definitely makes sense to to do the u joints at the same time, cuz if u had to do em later, you'd just have to remove the hub and everything to do em any way. I didnt have to pay for labor, thank god for bein a tech, but as far as labor time for both the hubs and u joints, was probably around 2 hours, maybe less. The old ones were a bitch to get off. Lots of rust in the old u-joints too. when they came out they were just rust dust. GL with the job

Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM
MossyOak99
Rookie

I got the bearings and the u-joints and I'm gonna tackle them this week. Thanks for the link. Doesn't look to bad. Fortunately I have most of the tools minus the 12 point socket but that won't add much to the cost. I ended up getting the parts I need for less than $300 so I am definitely happy about that. I would much rather do all the work myself than pay someone else that much money in labor and hope that they did it right.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:16 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The only problem I have with the pavement sucks write up, is that I would not do the job without removing the CAD to make sure the 4 wheel engagement collar goes back on right.(Plus you can slide it over onto the intermediate shaft to make re installation of the outer shaft easier ,Then just slide it back over to the output shaft and line up the fork on the CAD with it)and you can check that bushing. If you decide to do it without removing CAD make sure the bushing is still in the end of the shaft. You can see it in one of the pics in that DIY.

And BTW, if you want to replace the seals too,it is not an easy job(that's why everyone charges alot of $ to do it). And requires more special tools.

Last edited by zman17; 11-10-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
MossyOak99
Rookie

Zman, you lost me on the CAD. I'm not sure what that is or how to do what you said. If that will make this project easier please inform me on what this is and how to take it out. I may sound like an idiot but I am still willing to do this job myself. I do not want to screw anything up. I still have a couple of days before I can start on this so I will continue looking for guidance. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Hub assemblies