2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake dust shield/hub bearing ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:43 PM
darndodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake dust shield/hub bearing ?'s

hey, have a 97 RAM 2500 4x4. Replacing the driver's front hub bearing assembly. My brake dust shield was rusted beyond reuse. Does a shield have to go back on as far as seating of that bearing assembly correctly? I didn't know whether the thickness of the shield played a role or not. Brake dust control is not an issue with me if I don't have to use it..By the way went through hell getting the old bearing off. There was no penetrating oil that good. The bearing was sloppy so it ended up separating with a sledge and puller. The rest was lodged in the steering knuckle. Luckily I was able to use the 4 inner threaded flange holes to jack out the rest of the bearing. Anyone experience such a nightmare.. and how about that dust shield, is it necessary?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:08 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The shield provides cooling, as it directs air to the caliper and rotor.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:10 AM
95laRAMie
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as gettin the hub out, i used an air hammer with an adapter, on those 3 bolts which were in the back of my hub. thread the bolt out a bit, then hammer it, then do the same with the next bolt, until its out. took me all of about 2 hours to do both wheel bearings and both front u-joints.

my brake shield was rusted up too, so i took it off, and have left it off, tho i would say if u go mudding, put it on, cuz i went out, and got some mud stuck in my pads, which scored my rotor, so now i just gotta machine the rotor and put the shield back on.

Quick Reply: brake dust shield/hub bearing ?'s