2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to clean my Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean my Throttle Body

I took off the air intake thing to replace my air filter with a K&N filter. I then realized that there is a throttle body there!!! Wow! It has some oil and grime on it but not too much. Most of the stuff was on the old filter. I got some throttle body cleaner which is in a spray can. It says just spray it on there but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do. Can I do it that way or do I need to take it off? I don't really want to pay for new gaskets and my skills as a modder are limited as I am new to this.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:33 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

You really should pull it off to clean it. Your just sending all that junk down into your engine. There are three screws that hold on the bracket for the TB, four bolts that mount the tb, and two or three linkage clips. Actually... just noticed you have a v10. Im not familiar with the v10 tb, but you really should pull it off to clean it reguardless.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

Do I have to replace the gasket?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I Guess technically you don't have to, but suggested.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you remove the TB, you should replace the gasket. its only about $2. otherwise you might get a small leak and a whistling sound.

you can clean it a little better by removing it, but honestly i don't think its that big of a deal to spray it off in place. use carb or TB cleaner, with engine running or not. it'll burn or evaporate off.

Quick Reply: How to clean my Throttle Body