2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another Tranny Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:00 PM
rustyfan2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Tranny Question

Just recently went on a trip to Michigan from NW Indiana. Got about 60 miles into the trip on the express way with the over drive on and cruising at about 75mph. Noticed a slight slip in the trans a couple of times that never happened to me before. Pulled over and checked the fluid. Fluid was still pink and didn't have a "burnt" smell. The truck has just turned 90,000 miles on it and was purchased a couple years ago with 78,000 on it. It's a 98 Ram Sport with the 5.2 and auto trans. Haven't had it serviced as said before the fluid still looks good and doesn't smell burnt. Read a couple of articles on here and some have said that sometimes the TPS faults and could give it a "slip" like feel. Haven't been able to recreate the problem with the cruise off. Also, on the turn around trip from Michigan I drove with the cruise off and didn't notice any problems. Any suggestions?

Old 11-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep testing cruise control. Hopefully that is all it is and not something going on with the tranny. It could be a vacuum problem with the cruise control. If it starts doing it without the cruise control on, I'd get the tranny serviced just to have it looked over and see if it is ok.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:46 AM
jmhai
Veteran

I had a 98 Volvo XC that the cruise control would drop 2 or 3 mph then come right back up every 5 or so minutes..it always done it... I figured it was programed that way for safety. keep you from fallin asleep at the wheel... Never really asked anyone about it...

Old 11-30-2008, 10:57 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There are vacuum lines under the battery tray for CC. Not saying it's the prob, but check them anyway. The TPS usually causes a surge, not slip.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 PM
rustyfan2
Talking Surge

Took the TPS off and checked the housing. Looked a little gunky. Cleaned up the housing and connector and replaced the TPS. Soo far soo good. Also checked the vacume lines going under the battery and they look good. Let's hope for the cheap fix! Thanks for the help.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did something like that. When I was on the interstate it would get jumps in the RPM level...usually like a 100-200 RPM surge. I replaced the TPS and never had anymore issues...maybe yours is the same. I thought at first mine was a slip, too, but then I noticed it would go away if I pushed the gas harder, which is when a slip should show up more.

Quick Reply: Another Tranny Question