2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

it broke in a big way

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:17 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it broke in a big way

ok i went out mud rescuing a couple of chevy friends i have and they were messin around, i started messin around with them. i drove the truck that night and the truck was fine. had a very small squeek to her front tire, thought there was some mud in the brakes, it will stop. parked it, went to drive up to the dodge dealership about 14 miles up the road, (wanted to get me spedometer checked on why it was not workin) and about a quarter mile from the road to pull in, she started makin a very fuuny but bad grinding, little bit of clunking, so i pulled over. looked around and to my surprise. I BLEW A WHEEL/HUB BEARING. i dont think it was the mud that did me in but i think it was about a week ago me and a buddy did my outer wheel joints. i think i may have tightend the nut to tight and that just burnt them up cause the other side is gettin a little loss. but i just figured i would tell all my wounderful story and just so everyone know. it is all under my extended warrenty. i lucked out

p.s. those wheel bearings a piece are $382.... and i need both. lol

Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Where the Hell did you price the bearings at????

Old 12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

that was the price from the dealer i went to. it is the closest one. but that was for the non highperformace ones or nothing, but the guy told me i could have gotten the high stangth ones for liek 4 something a peice and i just told him it should be under warrenty

Old 12-02-2008, 09:32 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

the hubs are a whole sealed unit, you can't just replace/repack the bearings, you gotta replace a whole hub, at least on the newer 2nd gens

Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok well them paybe that as th eprice for the whole hub. i have no idea. all i know is they have my truck right now and i have to wait to go pick it up... its like someone has my baby right now.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:22 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's possible they were over torqued. Did he tighten with an impact gun?
The banging from the impact can actually create flat spots on the bearing.
I see this all the time from guys using impact guns on Diff pinion nuts. Makes me cringe now but I used to do it too when I was a youngster.

What also might have happened is if the wheel bearings are hot and you plunge into deep water or mud the bearings cool and contract rapidly. This can cause the bearing to suck in water, mud, etc past the seal and ruin the bearing.

This happened to me on my wife's car earlier this year. We had a bad rain storm and had to drive through some deep water. Her wheel bearing went from silent to unbearable in 2 days.
Lucky they were covered by warranty!

Old 12-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Gwub2005
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2wd bearings can just be bought and repacked for cheap but the 4wd ones are the full hub bearing sealed assembly, which was insanely more expensive than the 2wd.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:54 PM
punkrguy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwub2005
The 2wd bearings can just be bought and repacked for cheap but the 4wd ones are the full hub bearing sealed assembly, which was insanely more expensive than the 2wd.
Exactly!
But i just replaced my front passenger side and the hub cost me 77 bucks (brand new) so i dont know what kind of "high performance" hub he's talking about but that sounds like a rip to me!

Last edited by punkrguy; 12-19-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

well i have sense got the truck back and its broke again.. but anyway, the hibs and bearings were all one unit, thats why they were so expensive, and i guess the dealer told me ( and i am pretty sure he was lying) that the only ones he had on hand were the "high impact" totally sealed hubs. and they were 220 each.

and yes i did tighten them with an impact, that was my problem. but i learned my leason for now.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They are that much because it's list price. That's cheap for list price, so no way they were anything special because they would have been more.

Just remember, 175 ft lbs. Of course that means another tool.

Quick Reply: it broke in a big way