2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Silver Paint Flaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:27 PM
WTL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver Paint Flaking

Whats with the silver paint flaking on rams? Mine is awful on just 1 side, the other is fine and its just the silver - not the red hoods?

And how can I fix this without making it a 2 month project? Should I just do the rustoleum $50 paint job that is getting a lot of attention online (which would mean doing the entire truck to a solid color), or is there a way to just do the silver passenger side - and not have whatever I put over it flake up again? Do I have to take that side down to bare metal? I am not a perfectionist, I just want a solid color without it flaking.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get all the rust off. I got as much off, and then used a rust converter on it, that kills the rust and helps prevent it. Then used some bondo to smooth it over, and got matching paint from a local shop with clear coat for $30.

your paint code is under the hood (on the hood), mine was PFK i think. Driftwood...

There is something in the DIY section, a youtube video on how to do it.

OH, then to prevent it from happening people are doing things to the inside of the door. some are pouring oil in the door, good, but i can't do that since i have some bondo work, i am sure that would cause it to flake off.
I used caulking and some spray on liner and tons of the rust converter stuff.

Last edited by 98DodgeRam1500; 12-03-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 PM
WTL
Professional

I have seen rust anywhere so far. Is the door issue on the quad cab doors, cause I have just a standard cab?

My problem is it seems the silver paint isnt adhering to the factory primer - as far as I can tell.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh, sorry, saw mention of rustoleum and bare metal.

Yes, you would have to get it to bare metal, get the right primer and repaint. best to go to a paint shop/supplier and just ask questions and tell them about your problem.

my paint was flaking off, but that was because of the common rust that occurs on the dodge doors in the snowy states.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DodgeRam1500
but that was because of the common rust that occurs on the dodge doors in the snowy states.
Or any vehicles in the snow belt. My S10 is from central Michigan, and the frame is just all rust. The only reason the body doesnt have rust, is because it was in a wreck, and the owner chose to just have the truck painted from the beltline down.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 PM
WaynesWorld
Veteran

Most likely the paint is delaminating. This happens by UV light breaking down the pigment and the paint fails. I bet the side that is peeling is faced towards the sun most of the time.

Quick Reply: Silver Paint Flaking