2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:41 PM
SinfulDragon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny issues

Ok so I have some issues with my trans.

If I go slow everything is just perfect however if I try to accelerate at even moderate speeds then it doesn't wanna shift out of 1st gear (will redline and stay there until I let off the accelerator) and when it does shift it wants to keep falling back into 1st.

Please tell me this sounds like a simple problem to fix. I have a shop that isn't too far away that will do basic testing for free but anything more than "basic" and it starts costing $$ so I haven't taken it there just yet.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 PM
TheForce55555
All Star

Its probably going to die sooner or later, so maybe change the fluid and add little lucas tranny juice and that might straighten it up, I have been through 2 trannys in my 2nd gen, its likes to eat them about every 20,000 miles

Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 AM
SinfulDragon

Did you forget a 0 in there, I have just over 200K on this truck and the tranny has just this past year started acting up.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:44 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, dont put lucas in the transmission.

Sounds like you need to do a service and change the Governor pressure sensor and solenoid.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Dodgeman000
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad speed or load sensor.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:48 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

might have the bands adjusted also

Old 12-04-2008, 08:50 PM
wadbuc54601

MonteC

First off, dont put lucas in the transmission.

Sounds like you need to do a service and change the Governor pressure sensor and solenoid.

__________________________________________________ ___________

I had the same trouble cost about 400 bucks for governor pressure sensor and solenoid. That was at a local shop.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:07 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah shops mark those two solenoids WAY up. Its better to buy them yourself and take them to someone or do it yourself.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:39 AM
BULLRAM
Veteran

Sinfull.........you need to have a scan tool put on it and have the govener pressure checked, to make sure there in NO voltage at the pressure sensor at idle or at a stop, if you cant get that, remove the pan, then look at the right side of the valve body, you will see a round topped valve sitting in a metal shroud, remove just the torx bolts, holding that small plate, then a few regular bolts, also holding it on, then it pulls straight out, when you get it out you probably will see all the GUNK , built up on the GOVENER SOLENOID screen or filter if you will, dissconnect the plug, and spray it off with brake clean,you will then see the filter is supposed to be white or clear........put it all back in and refill the tranny, it should now shift good, if not then you probably have more serious problems, but this takes car of 90% of the WONT SHIFT.PROBLEMS, AND ALSO THE ..STARTS OFF IN SECOND GEAR PROBLEM, try it out and good luck

Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
SinfulDragon

Originally Posted by BULLRAM
Sinfull.........you need to have a scan tool put on it and have the govener pressure checked, to make sure there in NO voltage at the pressure sensor at idle or at a stop, if you cant get that, remove the pan, then look at the right side of the valve body, you will see a round topped valve sitting in a metal shroud, remove just the torx bolts, holding that small plate, then a few regular bolts, also holding it on, then it pulls straight out, when you get it out you probably will see all the GUNK , built up on the GOVENER SOLENOID screen or filter if you will, dissconnect the plug, and spray it off with brake clean,you will then see the filter is supposed to be white or clear........put it all back in and refill the tranny, it should now shift good, if not then you probably have more serious problems, but this takes car of 90% of the WONT SHIFT.PROBLEMS, AND ALSO THE ..STARTS OFF IN SECOND GEAR PROBLEM, try it out and good luck
Thanks a lot!!! I'll give that a go and let everyone know how it works out.

Quick Reply: tranny issues