2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pressure Problems, if its not one thing its the next

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:53 AM
neattouch648
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Problems, if its not one thing its the next

Well, now that i finally got the death wobble fixed, and got new tires i've got the next problem
my oil pressure guage is showing a little less than 40 lbs of pressure when i'm driving normally, but sometimes when the truck is under a lot of stress, mostly while offroading, the check guages light comes on and the oil pressure is down to 0. Immediately i shut off and restart the truck and the oil pressure is back. Theres no knocking or any sort of noise coming from it to make me think it really isn't pumping oil anymore. Could it just be the oil pressure sensor? or what could be wrong?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 AM
BULLRAM
Veteran

NO usually what is wrong is the screen in the pan is STOPPED up, folks we got a small screen, I hate to say it , but , it is VERY small, about the size of a silver dollar, and the opening is only a small portion of the cover, so good news and bad news......
bad news, you have to pull the pan to get to it.....the pump itself may be scored since no oil ran through it and with the engine running with no oil pressure channces are good the pump is bad

GOOD NEWS...very simple install
I have done this operation to a lot of these and it is NOT hard...
First get a pump if you want to, they are really inexpensive for ours
then get A NEW SCREEN,or pickup, you will see how small they are, other option is just clean out yours, your ..if it has a lot of miles will have VERY HARD carbon build up oi it, and is very hard to get it clean because of the way the opening is made, so just go and get one, it is about 7.00$
take off ! bracket on the right side bolted to the pan, take off the bolts from the pan, and be sure and get the ones in front that are bigger , and the ones right up against the trans cover
after all the bolts are removed ,the pan after prying a little, (they will be stuck if it has never been removed before), will actually fall down some, then push slightly on the transmission torque converter cover to clear and the pan will fall down on the ground, the pan gasket stays on the engine, and can be reused. BEST PART OF ALL......

the screen can be cleaned in place or for a better job , you have to pull it off and unscrew it, if you are replacing it, if you put on a new pump remove the bottom cover , and pack it with grease, reput the cover,and reinstall...
I have actually cut off the cover on the new screen and exposed more of the intake screen to the oil it lasted a lot longer that way......

good luck guys....
-

Old 12-05-2008, 09:50 AM
neattouch648
Professional

i guess that's what i'm going to check next, the only issue with that is this engine has only been in the truck for maybe five weeks and it really hasn't been driven that much. I pulled out the motor because a freeze plug was corroded in the back and when i did that i cleaned the pickup

but i guess i'll have to pull the pan and see whats going on under there

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Problems, if its not one thing its the next