2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Probably a dumb question about nerf bars.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Jimmeh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably a dumb question about nerf bars.

Thought I would ask, though. A guy on Craigslist is selling nerf bars from a quad cab, and I was curious if they would fit my sing cab, just have the extra step go up to the bed instead of another "door".

Old 12-05-2008, 06:05 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would think you could make them work for you.... they just wouldn't bolt up the same.

i think your only problem would be bolting them up under the bed... but i really don't know just shooting from the hip...

Last edited by dodgeram07; 12-05-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Trey318
Captain

Yea the main mounts for the nerf bars bolt to the body mounts, dont they?

Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 PM
JackJ
Captain

I will go with what I was told a while back about being a mechanic, "If the torch is hot enough and the hammer big enough, it WILL fit"

But to be serious, the ones on my JEEP are welded to the frame, you could always go that route.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:13 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have the tools you could fab a mount the bolts to the bars and the frame, so it could be taken off easily if need be

Old 12-06-2008, 03:31 AM
Rebhays27
Professional
Default Single step option

Originally Posted by Jimmeh
Thought I would ask, though. A guy on Craigslist is selling nerf bars from a quad cab, and I was curious if they would fit my sing cab, just have the extra step go up to the bed instead of another "door".
Jimm, You also have the option of adding th esingle step behind the nerf bars. You can weld them if you like the look. you are only out the few bucks and still have the single cab bars. jcwhitney.com has a very good selection of bars I have Bully and they hold my fat A$$ very well if you sign up for the email you get offers all the time for free shipping. plus a return guarantee if you don;t like the way they look.

good luck Hope this helps!

Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of westin nerfs I got from a guy on Craigslist. I got them for $60. I had to drill out the support bracket mounts on the bars and put a bolt all the way through the tube, all the stock bolts were stripped. Also, if you don't get the right sized self-tapping screws for where it attaches to the body, it will make a lot of clunking whenever you flex the truck. I needed the nerfs because I transport my kids (1 baby, 1 toddler, and 1 teen), and they have helped ALOT.

As for them working on your truck, yes, you will have to fab something up to get it to work. They do use the body mounts and they also have a small steel bar that attaches to the body for added support.

Here are some instructions for a reg cab... but you can see what it takes for an installation.

http://www.westinautomotive.com/page...ts/75-0556.pdf

Quick Reply: Probably a dumb question about nerf bars.