2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

People with 4.56's Report In (More technical than average Qs)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Nope, he's got a newer dodge which dosnt have gears for the speedo. The PCM gets a signal from the tone ring in the rear dif. I think they changed to that in 98 or 99.
Sorry, but Aubrey was correct. He was replying to Roma who is the guy who stated up above that he has a '96. He's not the original poster of this thread who has a 2000 (which I already explained needed not change).

Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Mike Roma
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
Sorry if I threw the thread off track a bit.

If I did not change the speedo gear, would it affect the torque converter (on my '96) like SmokeGrinder mentioned in the first post here? Or, would it only affect the speedometer?

Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 PM
froesen
Professional

Silver, it ws 98 that they changed to the diff VSS, not 99....in 98 when they changed the interior and gauges they went all electronic at the same time. The computer still gets a driveshaft speed signal (actually, trans output signal, which changes if you're in 4Lo of course) which reads off of the parking palls (sp?). Don't know exactly what it uses that signal for, though. And when I had my speedo recalibrated for tires, I asked if the computer had a setting for gear ratio for any corrections, but there was none....so as long as you calibrate for tires, you're good, no gear worries.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Good to know. I wasn't sure about '98, I thought it might have been half and half. So I just said '99 because I knew those were for sure for the entire model year.

Thanks.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 12-12-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:38 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
Sorry, but Aubrey was correct. He was replying to Roma who is the guy who stated up above that he has a '96. He's not the original poster of this thread who has a 2000 (which I already explained needed not change).

Damn, he most certainly was . Had I paid enough attention (actually read all the posts in the thread) I may have figured that one out and seen that you, sir, had answered the mans question (as well as Romas) with great precision.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by olyelr
Damn, he most certainly was . Had I paid enough attention (actually read all the posts in the thread) I may have figured that one out and seen that you, sir, had answered the mans question (as well as Romas) with great precision.
No biggy. I'm glad your checking into this forum though. We need more of you smart guys from PS on here.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:28 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

No biggy. I'm glad your checking into this forum though. We need more of you smart guys from PS on here.

Haha, smart, thats quite funny.

I have never seen this website before (kinda crazy) so I figured I would sign up and start searching. There seems to be lots of good info on this forum, as well as a much more laid back kinda atmosphere (compared to pirate and PS). Glad to be here!

Old 12-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Ya, it is way more laid back around here. There is a lot more repetition of simple questions though (how do I get better mpg, better performance, what CAI should I use, etc...), but there is also some pretty neat stuff that gets asked around here, and not nearly the amount of harassment you get on some other forums.

When we get some of the old links fixed up again, we have a pretty good DIY section. We are just recovering from a software upgrade right now that disabled a lot of the old pictures and url names. We're working it, but it is taking some time.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Silver,

What's the best CAI I can get?

Old 12-14-2008, 11:18 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Ya, it is way more laid back around here. There is a lot more repetition of simple questions though (how do I get better mpg, better performance, what CAI should I use, etc...), but there is also some pretty neat stuff that gets asked around here, and not nearly the amount of harassment you get on some other forums.

When we get some of the old links fixed up again, we have a pretty good DIY section. We are just recovering from a software upgrade right now that disabled a lot of the old pictures and url names. We're working it, but it is taking some time.

Maybe this has something to do with why I couldn't see any pics on a two+ year old thread I dug up the other night about a Red Tonka Dodge. Hurry up, I want pics!!!

Quick Reply: People with 4.56's Report In (More technical than average Qs)