2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stalls when you gas it hard...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 04:04 PM
thewrench
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalls when you gas it hard...HELP!

Figures My winter rig & hunting truck would wait till snow & hunting season to break down!

The Truck-
2000 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 Mag 360

The Problem- Starts a little rough but idles decent, It does not matter if your driving or in park, once you step on the gas hard, it misses soo bad the engine stalls. I can drive it w/ very light throttle and it's fine, has good power. I can also very slower press the gas w/ the truck parked and get the rpms to climb ok. Just If i stad the gas pedal hard it breaks up and stalls, If i back off fast enough it will catch itself and come back to idle.

I have 110k on the truck and really have not done any service work. I have not checked the plugs,wires,cap or rotor yet. I am planing to just replace everything. I'm just trying to get a feel for what happened? The truck was running fine, then just starting doin it while driving. CEL flashed when it happened, but the light did not stay on and theres no codes to pull...seems weird?

Help...

Old 12-14-2008, 04:10 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check fuel pressure with a gauge and have the cat checked and see if you have any codes stored if you don't have the CEL on.

BTW, you might want to try and clean the IAC and TPS sensors. Look in the DIY section for directions on how to do it.

Last edited by zman17; 12-14-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Man, give that thing some new plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. Clean the throttle body per the DIY in the DIY section, and I'll bet it clears right up.

If it doesn't, check the coil for a good spark, then start looking toward the fuel pump.

One last thought, how old's the battery?

After you get her running right again, run a can of Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner thru the TB blades and let it sit overnight. Run it out the next morning and you'll swear you have a new truck.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 12-14-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:03 PM
thewrench

Yeah, It's gonna get all new tomorrow. BTW I only purchased the truck about 800miles ago. I would never neglect service work. But not knowing what has or has not been serviced on it, I'm just gonna do it all. I went out tonight to play w/ it a lil and now...It doesn't even start, just cranks. I have 45psi @ the fuel rail, and the TB looks good. I checked spark comming off the coil and it seems week to me, spark off the cap going to a plug looks even worse. It all makes sence for my situation, so.. Cap,Rotor,Wires,Plugs & Ignition Coil going in tomorrow. I'll report back w/ my findings.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 PM
thewrench

Installed new ignition coil, fired right up!

Quick Reply: Stalls when you gas it hard...HELP!