2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Not starting in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:57 PM
nathangfnd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not starting in the cold

I got a 99 dodge 1500 and its got a block heater and all but i plugged it in last night and it started without a problem this morning. When i went to move it later that night the truck wouldnt start. The heater was plugged in and all but it tries to start but wont. I Jumped it and left it running for about 30 min and turned it off. tried to start it again and it wouldnt. it tries but wont. Any Ideas????

Could it be a block heater not working right???
Battery(could it die that fast)?????????//

Its -40 degrees yes it is 40 below here today and it dark out and cant see anything outside and really dont want to be out there in the cold. Just wanted to know if this happens to anyone else??????????/

When i put it in reverse to move it, it had a problem like it was frozen like putting it in reverse was harder and when it moved it kinda didnt want to move. No other problems when not so cold it has been -10 or so lately but today is the coldest!!!!!!!111

Old 12-14-2008, 11:08 PM
divetruck
Professional

Battery blanket or remove the battery and take it inside. We dont get that cold but heard that it's been done up around your parts and Alaska

Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional

-40......This is what you need
Block Heater- make sure its working
Oil pan heater- if you dont have this it will make your truck extremely hard to turn over plus will do some serious damage if it does start
Tranny pan heater- another must. If you start your truck at -40 w/out this there is a good posibility you will burn up your pump
Battery blanket/trickle charger- either one works but if you get the pad make sure its like a 50 watt heater. If its an oil pan heater (looks exactly alike) it will melt your battery.

I know all this b/c my home station is in Fairbanks, AK. Ive seen and drove my truck in -65!!! Also one reason it was hard to move was that your differential grease was frozen. You dont need heaters just put 75w full synthetic in there. Dont forget if you have a limited slip to put in the mopar additive. If you have any more questions just pm me.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:11 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Oh yeah, and block off your radiator with cardboard. If you drive long distances there's a chance that your tranny fluid will gel in the cooler. Cardboard will cut the air flow and help keep the heat in.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Vader
Champion

I read somewhere on this site that the older Rams do not pump tranny fluid while in park. I could imagine with your unbelievably cold temps that this could be your issue.

Quick Reply: Not starting in the cold