2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No heat at idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Slide the cardboard down in between the rad and the trans cooler and ac condenser!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:42 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
Before you go through all that... I thought I would let you know I have the same issue. I never sit in my truck and let it idle because of that problem. I just figured the truck is cooling faster than the engine makes heat at idle. The other problem I have is it takes forever to warm up. Even though, I'd rather have my truck run cooler than hotter. You might try blocking off part of the radiator and see what happens.
I thought about that and taped off the fan to see if it made a difference. It didn't. It does take a long time to warm up, but I get heat when the gauge starts to move. I can tell a little difference in heat once the thermostat opens and I can see the temp gauge drop back slightly. I already have the prestone kit on my truck so bleeding the core won't be a big deal. I hate to think that the water pump doesn't make enough pressure to force air out, but I can see that there could be air trapped because the core sits higher than the radiator. Kind of a dumb design.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 PM
rango726
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went through the same thing last winter. i bought a back flushing kit at the auto parts store and flushed it several times. the crap that came out was incredible. worth a shot. i know you just put a new radiator in but maybe your water pump is full of junk? good luck

Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 AM
aliasmax

Yesterday i took the radiator cap off when the truck was cold, i ran the engine. after the temp gauge got to normal i ran it at varying rpms for 1/2 an hour. (the truck was not moving) the antifreeze in the radiator was cold. not even warm, it was cold, as was the lower radiator hose.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:58 AM
aliasmax

something new. yesterday coming home from work the heater was working perfectly. had hot heat blowing out when i would come to a stop. Now today i took a 20 mile drive and every time i came to a stop the heater would start blowing cold air again. I am lost. it's driving me nuts.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:07 PM
MudRam99
Default In the same cold boat

So far I am leaning towards the blend door or an air conditioning problem with my 99. So far I have checked the coolant level and all hoses both cold and at operating temp. I noticed my air conditioner compressor is running in heat postions, even with the heat selector all the way HOT. I pulled the compressor clutch connector and things are much better, but something obviously isn't right. Still searchin in the cold......

Old 12-24-2008, 03:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The AC runs to keep the condensation down when on defrost, and to keep it and the AC system lubed up and moving during long periods of non use, like in winter.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:23 PM
milehieagle

I have a 2000 2500 with the same flipin' problem! Heater core leaked so I replaced it and now no heat at idle. Removed (I thought) all the air from the cooling system (several times with no real big amount of it!), replaced thermostat, water pump and belt and still no heat at idle. Core inlet hose is burning hot and return hose is the same. Blend door servo motor is moving blend door fully open. It's electric and not vacuum operated so not a vacuum issue. I'm lost!! Tried bleeding more air out of it today and got maybe 2 more cups of antifreeze in it. I can't figure this one out. I've thrown a bunch of money at it and now there is nothing left to replace. Have you guys figured this one out on your trucks yet?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Mruzu1
Question Almost the same?

97 ram 3.9 liter 6 same deal, no heat at idle. I flushed my cooling system last year purged it and tried getting all the air out. I get a gurgle out of my heater core sometimes as if it still has air in it.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:39 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

My 01 has the same issue, I'm having a hell of a time getting the air out of the system, have tried purging 5 or 6 times this winter.. I even adjusted my electric fan up to 200 instead of 180 and put some cardboard in, it warms the temp gauge up faster, but doesnt help the heater much. I kind of gave up on it.

Quick Reply: No heat at idle