2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no heat mystery diagnosed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
dodgeforlife15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no heat mystery diagnosed?

turns out i have a coolant leak. i noticed it this morning when i was adding coolant for the second time in two weeks. it looks to be coming from the area where the water pump is... i think. it is coming from the bottom front of the engine just behind the lowest pulley. do you guys know where the leak may be from and how should i go about fixing it? also could this be the reason why i have no heat in the cab?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:07 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could be why your getting air in the system which could be why your getting no heat and the best way to fix it is to change your water pump

Old 12-18-2008, 07:06 PM
peterl23452
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump

i replaced the water pump on my cousins 2nd gen....there is a small riser tube on top i recall which was very corroded...could be leaking there and running down. or it could be the water pump itself...cant remember if the 2nd gen had em but most water pumps have a weep hole on the bottom{directly below the pulley} that is designed to leak before the pump fails.. good time to replace your thermostat as well

edit: the heater cores are known to go on these trucks... fix the pump or leak first then try your heat
if its your heater core prepare for a big job {you have to pull the dash and possibly discharge your ac}
i have not heat as well{ core is bypassed cause it leaks} will replace this winter though it's getting cold in VA} not to mention if i do have top lose my ac i dont want to do that in the summer..
i would rather not have heat in the winter then no ac in summer--depending on local climate

Last edited by peterl23452; 12-18-2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: no heat mystery diagnosed?