2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suspension on the "off-road" edition.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 04:01 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The abuse question, I have no idea. The rear leaf springs, however, would be very easy to do. I've replaced and moved mine around a lot (unfortunately... long story for another day), after the second or third time, it becomes extremely routine.

Front springs are supposedly a little harder, and I have no personal experience with them, but you will need a spring compressor tool. Auto parts stores usually have them for rent if you don't want to buy.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:41 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jason.w

Front springs are supposedly a little harder, and I have no personal experience with them, but you will need a spring compressor tool. Auto parts stores usually have them for rent if you don't want to buy.

Actually, the front springs are much easier than the rear. You don't have to have a spring compressor at all. Just remove the sway bar, front shocks, and let the suspension droop down and they will fall out I have hose clamps (top and bottom) holding my front coils in because I took my sway bar off years ago and the springs will fall out of the top bucket when wheeling.

As far as the suspension taking the abuse goes, I think they will be fine... well, as good or better than the stock non-off road suspension.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:41 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i was thinking of taking my sway bar off, or at least making up some kind of quick disconnect, but i will keep that in mind, hose clamps... a few big ones i take it. guinuess. and i have delt with the replacement of both kinds of suspention, not hard, was just makin sure the off road ones didnt have anything "special" about them. but ok. does anyone have any links to help me do my reasearch on this. or where i can get them. cause i looked around on pavementsucks and didnt find anything

Old 12-21-2008, 04:16 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

PS is a great place to search for info., but you gotta know how to use the search. When you are in forums, click on the search button at the top. Then type in what you wanna search, but make sure you pick a certain forum or it doesn't work worth a hoot (for example, typing in sway bar disconnects and clicking on the Dodge forum will get you pages and pages of info on sway bars and disconnects, but if you don't pick a certain forum it hardly ever works).

Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Originally Posted by olyelr
As far as the suspension taking the abuse goes, I think they will be fine... well, as good or better than the stock non-off road suspension.

I second that. I have an offroad edition, and other than the ride sucks just goin down the road, its great. Last time I was home I put a heavy stock trailer on it with three 650lbs steers in it and my truck hardly even sqatted.

Quick Reply: Suspension on the "off-road" edition.